Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

DOUBLE YOSHIMURA SUZUKI PODIUM AT BARBER SBK

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

DOUBLE @YOSHIMURA #SUZUKI PODIUM AT BARBER @SBK

Team Suzuki Press Office – June 24.

Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Racing’s Chris Clark brought home his first-ever, career AMA Pro Superbike podium in Saturday’s Barber Motorsports Park opening race in Birmingham, Alabama, as team-mate Martin Cardenas visited the podium for the fifth time this season after finishing second on Sunday.

Yoshimura Suzuki’s Cardenas started the weekend with a solid showing in qualifying, picking up a front-row starting position. In Saturday’s race, he got a good start but suffered an early-race get-off that resulted in no injuries but incapacitated his bike. But Cardenas more-than made up for that on Sunday, getting another good start on his Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000. He went on to battle with his team-mate Roger Hayden over second place for most of the race but in the end, it was Cardenas who finished on the podium.

“After yesterday, this podium is a very good result for us,” said Cardenas. “I would have liked to get closer to the leader, but we gave it everything we had and I’ll happily take second today. I have to give it up to the Yoshimura Suzuki team. I’m so sorry for the crash yesterday; it caused them to have to stay very late to fix the bike last night. This podium is for them.”

Meanwhile, Saturday’s race was a spectacular one for Clark. The young racer got a top-10 start and put himself into position to take advantage of other riders’ mistakes. As a result, Clark brought home not only his first Superbike podium but also his first AMA Pro Racing podium. He followed that up with a respectable performance on Sunday, finishing sixth.
“It’s incredible,” said Clark about his podium finish. “This is my first podium in AMA Pro and to do it in Superbike really means a lot to me. It was definitely a race of attrition, and I probably didn’t deserve it but I’ve got to give it up to the whole Yoshimura Suzuki team for all their support and hard work, and for giving me such a great bike as the Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000.”

Like team-mate Cardenas, Yoshimura Suzuki’s Hayden started the weekend on a promising note, qualifying second on the grid. On Saturday, he got a great start on the Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000 and ran a strong second for most of the race, making several bids for the lead. Unfortunately, he wound up crashing in the same turn as Cardenas and was unable to finish. On Sunday, Hayden came back with a vengeance and slotted into second right off the start. He battled with Cardenas for the runner-up podium spot for most of the race before fading due to tyre-wear and finishing fifth.

“On the first day, I had a good pace going and was right there,” said Hayden. “But I made a mistake and lost the front end. On Sunday, I struggled to keep pace with the leader because of a severe lack of rear tyre-grip. I did the best I could, given the circumstances. I feel bad for the Yoshimura Suzuki team, especially because they worked until 1:30 Sunday morning to build me a new bike. I can’t thank them enough for all their hard work. I wanted to put on a good race for them but it just wasn’t on the cards. So we’ll to go Laguna and start fresh.”

Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Racing’s next event is the fourth round of the 2014 AMA Pro Superbike Championships during the weekend of July 11-13th at Mazda Raceway, Laguna Seca in Monterey, California.

2014 Barber Superbike Results, Race 1: 1. Josh Hayes, 2. David Anthony, 3. Chris Clark (Yoshimura Suzuki), 4. Larry Pegram, 5. Cory West, 6. Sean Dwyer, 7. Reese Wacker, 8. Trent Gibson, 9. Johnny Rock Page, 10. Frankie Babuska.

2014 Barber Superbike Results, Race 2: 1. Josh Hayes, 2. Martin Cardenas (Yoshimura Suzuki), 3. Cameron Beaubier, 4. David Anthony, 5. Roger Hayden (Yoshimura Suzuki), 6. Chris Clark (Yoshimura Suzuki), 7. Chris Ulrich, 8. Cory West, 9. Larry Pegram, 10. Sean Dwyer.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.