Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Van Horebeek unmovable podium force in Germany

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Van @Horebeek unmovable podium force in #Germany

There is little stopping Yamaha Factory Racing and Jeremy Van Horebeek this season. The Belgian increased his tally of consecutive podium finishes in the FIM Motocross World Championship to ten from eleven rounds today by taking third position overall at Teutschenthal for the Grand Prix of Germany.

31,000 fans packed around the short but steep Talkessel climbs and drops as the historic circuit returned to FIM calendar after hosting the Motocross of Nations at the end of last summer. The German hard-pack carved into ruts and bumps for the four motos of the MXGP and MX2 classes and in which Yamaha’s off-road racing wing were able to count on almost full strength. In MXGP particularly Van Horebeek continued his stellar first season on the YZ450FM.

Despite coming to Germany feeling the effects of being ‘under the weather’ during the week, JVH was still the picture of smooth control and power on the ’89’ machine. The only hindrance the Belgian faced on raceday for the two thirty minute and two lap motos were less-than-ideal starts. Van Horebeek pushed up to fourth position in the first race and then embarked on an intense and fantastically watchable duel with Antonio Cairoli. The World Champion tried to pass the Yamaha star but Jeremy was determined and skilled in his racecraft. The second moto required another bustle through positions in the mid-top ten and when Van Horebeek overtook Shaun Simpson he was able to make sure of third place quite comfortably. At the end of play JVH is still very much in the hunt for the MXGP crown. He rests third in the standings, 37 points from the red plate.

DP19 Yamaha Racing’s David Philippaerts has pleasant recollections of Talkessel. The Italian scored a memorable top three result for his country nine months ago at the Nations and Teutschenthal was also the site of his very first MXGP/MX1 Grand Prix win back in 2007. On this occasion and from the working area of his own team he rolled back the years. A front brake problem created an awkward first moto in which the veteran had to adapt but ended up attacking countryman David Guarneri hard in the closing stages to make sure of eleventh. A bright start in the second race saw DP lodged in the top ten. Again more promising speed kept him in contention and he finished ahead of race one winner Max Nagl in sixth spot for a solid eighth overall. 25 points means that Philippaerts has pushed up to ninth in the championship standings.

Feeling slightly fitter and strong in his back and neck after a difficult Grand Prix in Italy last week, Bike it Yamaha Cosworth’s Rui Gonçalves was fourteenth and thirteenth in the motos after lamenting some indifferent starts. A glitch with his exhaust affected his power delivery in the first outing and some problems with overtaking hindered his performance in the second. A term of promising finishes mixed with small setbacks means that Rui holds twelfth in the MXGP points table.

After a free weekend the FIM Motocross World Championship will re-engage with the Grand Prix of Sweden visiting another staple venue on the MXGP calendar. The turns and drops of Uddevalla, north of Gothenburg, is similar to Talkessel and will give Yamaha’s MX elite another chance to shine in front of what is normally an enthusiastic and receptive fanbase in Scandinavia.

Jeremy Van Horebeek

“It was not easy at all. I was sick all week and not practicing or doing much to try and be fit for this weekend. Yesterday I had a lot of energy but today not too much. I messed up my starts and had to come back through…eating a lot of stones on the way! That was pretty painful because those things hurt, even through the chest protector. The podium ended up making today a good day, so I have to be happy. Ten in a row now and everything is possible.”

David Philippaerts
“I feel good about today. I know when I can start well then I can be in the top six. My physical performance is consistent and strong. I broke the front brake in the first moto which meant I kept over-running the corners. I had to be careful with my lines and found a good rhythm in the last laps so I could pass Guarneri again. My start was better in the second moto but I lost three laps stuck behind Potisek. When I got him I ‘went’. Searle and Nagl put some pressure but I finished sixth and was fast all the way through. It was important to get that decent feeling at the end.”

Rui Gonçalves
“This weekend I felt better and my body has recovered a bit. The speed was there all weekend and I felt I was pretty good but the starts here were the key point and I didn't manage it today. In the first moto I was at the back and we had a little issue with the pipe, which meant the bike wasn't running so clean. The guys fixed it for the second moto and it was much better. I pushed until the end and to make as many places as I could. It is so close here. I felt like I was faster than those guys in front but it was hard to make a move. I have to be happy with what I got and work towards the next one; better starts would help a lot for that overall result. I have to thank the Bike it Yamaha Cosworth team for the job they have been doing.”

2014 MXGP Germany

Teutschenthal 22/06/2014

race I
1 Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 35'05.736
2 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 0'01.314
3 Steven Frossard Kawasaki FRA 0'09.685
4 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'10.918
5 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 0'11.663
6 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 0'43.193
7 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'47.214
8 Tommy Searle Kawasaki GBR 0'53.044
9 Valentin Teillet Kawasaki FRA 0'55.988
10 Milko Potisek Yamaha FRA 1'00.682
11 David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 1'01.090
12 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 1'03.395
13 Ken De Dycker KTM BEL 1'04.184
14 Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 1'05.595
15 Gregory Aranda Kawasaki FRA 1'09.318
race II
1 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 35'11.077
2 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'06.867
3 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'18.229
4 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 0'23.148
5 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 0'26.615
6 David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 0'28.055
7 Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 0'29.208
8 Tommy Searle Kawasaki GBR 0'30.926
9 Dennis Ullrich KTM GER 0'40.411
10 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 0'43.911
11 Ken De Dycker KTM BEL 0'45.628
12 Milko Potisek Yamaha FRA 0'46.110
13 Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 0'46.571
14 Gregory Aranda Kawasaki FRA 0'49.442
15 Jake Nicholls KTM GBR 0'56.704

MXGP World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 11 of 19

1. Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 477
2. Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 452
3. Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 440
4. Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 350
5. Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 242
6. Steven Frossard Kawasaki FRA 237
7. Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 205
8. Gautier Paulin Kawasaki FRA 205
9. David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 185
10. Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 184
11. Davide Guarneri TM ITA 183
12. Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 167
13. Xavier Boog Honda FRA 159
14. Joel Roelants Honda BEL 158
15. Tommy Searle Kawasaki GBR 132
16. Matiss Karro KTM LVA 131
22. Milko Potisek Yamaha FRA 58
42. Pier Bertuzzo Yamaha ITA 4
45. Amirezza Sabetifar Yamaha IRI 2
52. Raul Alvarez Yamaha ESP 1

Circuit Length:
Weather:
Dry

Manufacturer Standings

22/06/2014

1 KTM 477
2 Suzuki 468
3 Yamaha
4 Kawasaki 405
5 Honda 340
6 Husqvarna 215
7 TM 211
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.