Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Front row for van der Mark in Misano heat

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Front row for van der Mark in @Misano heat

Pata Honda’s Michael van der Mark will start tomorrow’s seventh round World Supersport championship race from the front row of the grid after setting the second-fastest time right at the end of this afternoon’s qualifying session at Misano in Italy.

The 21-year-old Dutch ace left his best lap until last and was in a provisional second-row starting position as the chequered flag went out for the end of the session. But van der Mark put in a great effort to re-take second place on the timing sheet alongside pole-sitter Jules Cluzel for tomorrow’s 19-lap race at the 4.226km Misano circuit.

Van der Mark’s Pata Honda team-mate Lorenzo Zanetti was slightly disappointed with his own performance today but the 26-year-old Italian will start the race from the second row of the grid after setting’s today’s sixth-best time. Zanetti is targeting the podium once more and is determined to shine in front of his home crowd at Misano.

Michael van der Mark - P2

I’m really happy with today because this morning we didn’t really focus on a fast lap and instead worked on a race simulation. The CBR feels really good and the simulation was really fast. We had a good set-up for this afternoon’s qualifying and immediately I started to push and improve the lap time. I needed some laps and there was a bit of traffic but at the end I did my fastest lap time. Second place on the grid is good and for sure in the race tomorrow I’m really sure we can fight for the win.

Lorenzo Zanetti - P6

In the end, compared to this morning, the second row is important for tomorrow. Each time I went for a good lap it seemed there was something missing. Maybe it’s my style, because I like to enter the corner faster and brake later, but then I lose on the exit. I tried to brake less aggressively which improved the exit but I began to lose the grip on the entry, and I was losing maybe two or three tenths per lap, which is really important to get back for the race. We need to find a compromise for tomorrow but for sure I want to fight for the podium again.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

Lorenzo could not match yesterday’s lap time this morning. We tried to improve but, in the end, we had to start from yesterday’s setting again. Luckily in qualifying he could improve quite a lot to get sixth on the grid. He was not completely happy though, so we’ll see what more we can improve for tomorrow. Michael’s weekend so far has been really good. He was really strong in qualifying – second place and a front row start is more than fine and his race pace is looking strong, too.

Weather
Sunny

Air
30°C

Track
49°C

Humidity
46%

Qualifying Results

1 Jules Cluzel 1m38.616 FRA MV MV Agusta RC-Yakhnich Motorsport
2 Michael van der Mark 1m39.083 NED HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
3 Raffaele De Rosa 1m39.090 ITA HONDA Core PTR Honda
4 Kenan Sofuoglu 1m39.146 TUR KAWASAKI MAHI Racing Team India
5 Ratthapark Wilairot 1m39.382 THA HONDA Core PTR Honda
6 Lorenzo Zanetti 1m39.457 ITA HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.