Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Petrov breaches the top ten in Italy

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@Petrov breaches the top ten in #Italy

Round ten of the FIM Motocross World Championship took place in the confines and banking of the Maggiora circuit where 35,000 fans braved showery conditions and a damp setting to see Kemea Yamaha Racing’s Petar Petrov lead a determined charge to ninth overall in the MX2 class at the Grand Prix of Italy and round ten of seventeen in the 2014 campaign.

Maggiora was the familiar collection of steep drops and climbs, sheer jumps and a flowing, narrow trajectory. Overtaking was tricky and with the wet surface harder to judge. Kemea Yamaha Racing were able to count on Petrov to deliver a best result of ninth thanks to supreme efforts to ninth and eleventh positions in the two motos. The Bulgarian was circulating in the top five for much of the first outing until slipping to the ground under pressure from Tim Gajser. In the second race Petar misjudged the gate drop and set off totally last. The mistake instigated a fantastic trawl through the pack – finding lines and gaps that barely existed on occasions – to reach eleventh and exercise decent damage limitation. Petrov was riding ‘solo’ after team-mate Luke Style missed the Grand Prix due to the chest injury he sustained in France two weeks ago.

Bike it Yamaha Cosworth’s Max Anstie was able to finish the first moto in eighth position; a positive achievement after some adversity on Saturday that meant the last gate pick but the Briton’s chances of a solid overall result were dashed after a problem with the rear shock ended his second race. Max was able to ride around the track and into the pits; the suspension unit unable to cope with the big jumps, hills and landing on this occasion.

Christophe Charlier lost his race against time to be fit for the team’s home Grand Prix after recent minor knee surgery. The Corsican was on hand to show the 2015 YZ250F to European press and fans for the first time and will now embark on an intensive training programme in Italy to get back into shape and possibly out on the track for the German Grand Prix next week. Charlier will then continue working to arrive back to his pre-season level of promise.

Only a few days breathing space for Yamaha’s MX2 crew lie in store with round eleven following quickly upon the meeting in Italy. The Grand Prix at Teutschenthal, south of Berlin and close to the cities of Halle and Leipzig, will take place on June 21-22.

Petar Petrov
“Today was alright but could have been better. I’m very happy about my riding but not about the results. In the first moto I had a good jump and managed to avoid several crashes. I got into sixth after the first lap and felt really good. I moved to fifth and was actually faster then Febvre and Tixier at that stage. I should have made a move but stayed in fifth, so that was a first mistake. After that I was battling with Gasjer, I wanted to keep my place and made another mistake. Luckily I got up fast and still managed to finish ninth. In the second race I hit the gate and this shouldn’t have happened… After that I charged as hard as I could and ended up eleventh not too far behind tenth place. I had a good feeling about my riding and I feel like things are going in the right direction again. My confidence is building up again and I look forward going to Germany next week.”

Max Anstie
“We worked really hard on the race bike during the break and I was much happier coming here compared to previous races because we had put in some decent development time and mileage. I felt good and the set-up was good. We had a few hitches on Saturday and it was frustrating but just part of working through. It was another Saturday that we shouldn't really have had. Full credit to the team because they worked all night and Paul my mechanic didn't get any sleep. The bike was perfect for the motos and it was nice just to be racing, even if I did start from way on the outside of the gate. We had a bit of a problem with ten minutes to go but it was still a good race. I got pushed out at the start of the second and was a long way back. I made a few passes when I landed quite heavy from one jump and a load of smoke came up. The shock had blown and I was going around like I was on a pogo stick. It sums up what is happening at the moment but we’ll go to Germany and hope for more.”

2014 MX2-GP Italy

Maggiora 15/06/2014

race I
1 Jeffrey Herlings KTM NED 34'59.483
2 Arnaud Tonus Kawasaki CHE 0'16.222
3 Jordi Tixier KTM FRA 0'29.958
4 Tim Gajser Honda SVN 0'32.756
5 Aleksandr Tonkov Husqvarna RUS 0'36.815
6 Romain Febvre Husqvarna FRA 0'37.753
7 Dylan Ferrandis Kawasaki FRA 0'38.583
8 Max Anstie
Yamaha
GBR 0'43.364
9 Petar Petrov
Yamaha
BGR 1'06.588
10 Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 1'18.881
11 Maxime Desprey Honda FRA 1'19.950
12 Harri Kullas KTM FIN 1'24.886
13 Julien Lieber Suzuki BEL 1'29.174
14 Mel Pocock KTM GBR 1'29.174
15 Vsevolod Brylyakov Honda RUS 1'33.774
race II
1 Jeffrey Herlings KTM NED 34'18.701
2 Dylan Ferrandis Kawasaki FRA 0'32.011
3 Jordi Tixier KTM FRA 0'35.589
4 Arnaud Tonus Kawasaki CHE 0'36.284
5 Tim Gajser Honda SVN 0'37.154
6 Romain Febvre Husqvarna FRA 0'38.568
7 Valentin Guillod KTM CHE 0'47.649
8 Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 0'50.646
9 Julien Lieber Suzuki BEL 0'57.312
10 Damon Graulus KTM BEL 1'00.811
11 Petar Petrov
Yamaha
BGR 1'02.310
12 Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 1'09.573
13 Aleksandr Tonkov Husqvarna RUS 1'22.183
14 Maxime Desprey Honda FRA 1'24.178
15 Harri Kullas KTM FIN 1'25.173

MX2-GP World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 10 of 19

1. Jeffrey Herlings KTM NED 444
2. Arnaud Tonus Kawasaki CHE 389
3. Jordi Tixier KTM FRA 331
4. Romain Febvre Husqvarna FRA 327
5. Dylan Ferrandis Kawasaki FRA 314
6. Tim Gajser Honda SVN 269
7. Aleksandr Tonkov Husqvarna RUS 240
8. Valentin Guillod KTM CHE 223
9. Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 213
10. Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 192
11. Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NED 176
12. Max Anstie
Yamaha
GBR 169
13. Petar Petrov
Yamaha
BGR 162
14. Julien Lieber Suzuki BEL 136
15. Thomas Covington Kawasaki USA 100
16. Mel Pocock KTM GBR 84
20. Luke Styke
Yamaha
AUS 68
23. Christophe Charlier
Yamaha
FRA 55
26. Magne Klingsheim Yamaha NOR 19
33. Anton Lundgren Yamaha SWE 5

Circuit Length:
Weather:
Dry
Last Years Winner:
Jeffrey Herlings

Manufacturer Standings

15/06/2014

1 KTM 474
2 Kawasaki 419
3 Husqvarna 334
4 Suzuki 299
5 Honda 279
6 Yamaha
7 TM 6
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.