Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Paulo Goncalves Fifth in the First Stage in Sardinia

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Paulo @Goncalves Fifth in the First Stage in @Sardinia

Paulo Gonçalves was the fastest rider of the HRC Team in this first stage of the Sardinia Rally. Barreda and Rodrigues make it to the Top10 today before heading for one of the most important stages of the race tomorrow.

Paulo GoncalveszoomPaulo Goncalves Joan BarredazoomJoan Barreda
The first stage between San Teodoro and Arbatax of 326 kilometers consisted of two Specials of which 47 kilometers from the first and 75 kilometers from the second were completely new to the Sardegna Rally Race. This first stage has allowed the riders to get into race mode while crossing and surrounding various mountains of the littoral of the Olastra coast on the east side of the island.

This first stage was not a very complicated one in terms of navigation; the tracks were defined, wide, rather hard and a bit dusty. Due to this, Joan Barreda, the fastest man during yesterday’s prologue, decided to start from fourth position in order to avoid visual inconvenient that could end up affecting his riding. Unfortunately the pace that he maintained was not enough for him to win this stage. He has given away a few minutes and is currently on eighth place in the general standing.

Paulo Gonçalves started behind his HRC teammate and managed to get to him with a very good pace, setting the third best time during the first Special and ending up fifth at the end of the day. It is a good position to be in order to battle on the following stage of 170 kilometers that will take place tomorrow.

For Hélder Rodrigues it has also been a good day, finishing in the Top10 and only three minutes behind the leader of the race.

Helder RodrigueszoomHelder Rodrigues Joan BarredazoomJoan Barreda
Paulo Goncalves, 5th +1'23 Team HRC : "The Special today was good. I started in fifth position and in the second Special I ended up opening the track. It went pretty well: I was fifth at only over one minute from the first guy. I lost some time because I found a closed door and I had to get off the bike to open it and the other riders cached up with me. In the end, I think that it went pretty well. I am satisfied so far because I know that we have a lot more days ahead of us."Joan Barreda, 8th +3'31 Team HRC :"I have to day that today was a hard day for me. After the first Special I was leading the way. I didn’t have a good feeling with the navigation of a bike that I am not use to compete with; I didn’t feel comfortable at all. Tomorrow’s stage will be longer and we will try to stay in the fight."Helder Rodrigues, 9th +3'45 Team HRC : "The first race day has been hard, the race pace was high and with more navigation than expected. Everyone has been pretty fast. I think that it wasn’t a bad start even if I have finished ninth. I know the position is not ideal but I am not far from the leading man. What is important now is to continue keep going and attack." Wolfgang Fischer, Team HRC - Team Manager :"Today we completed the first stage of the Sardinia Rally, two short Specials in which the riders have finished in the Top10. Tomorrow we will face a very important Special of 170km for which the riders will be in very good starting positions. We hope they will be able to do a good stage. All good, that is all I can say so far."
Paulo GoncalveszoomPaulo Goncalves

Results Stage 1

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 Marc Coma (KTM) 2:26'39
2 Alessandro Botturi (SPEEDBRAIN) +0'24
3 Armand Monleón (KTM) +1'10
4 Gerard Farrés (GAS GAS) +1'22
5 Paulo Goncalves (Honda) +1'23
8 Joan Barreda (Honda) +3'31
9 Helder Rodrigues (Honda) +3'45

Provisional Standings after Stage 1

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 Marc Coma (KTM) 2:26'39
2 Alessandro Botturi (SPEEDBRAIN) +0'24
3 Armand Monleón (KTM) +1'10
4 Gerard Farrés (GAS GAS) +1'22
5 Paulo Goncalves (Honda) +1'23
8 Joan Barreda (Honda) +3'31
9 Helder Rodrigues (Honda) +3'45

Event information

TOMORROW'S STAGE
STAGE 2 Tuesday, June 9
SS3: 170 km
Total: 226 km

This is the first of the two "ring" stages of the 2014 Edition. It's the shortest leg of the rally, and includes a progression in difficulty and a large range of terrain and tactical situations. It requires attention to navigation and to the diverse landscape situations.

The second stage is shorter than first of the Sardegna Rally. Departure will be from the center of Tortoli, followed by a liaison of 35 kilometers in the direction of Tertenia. This is the start of the only special stage of the second day of competition. The first part is very open and attractive, beautiful to ride. Pay attention to the fast dirt roads of the forest site of Tacchixeddu and enjoy the tracks of the wind farm. Pass the Forestry of Semida, heading to Ussasai and to Punta Corongiu, and take care at the junction of the state road 198. Then go straight to the Assistance Point in Gairo Taquisara.

The second part of the Special Stage is more technical and with more navigation required, especially at the end. The path will cross the geographic areas of Tricoli, Mount Armidda, Mount Idol, and the arrival of the Special Test is in the vicinity of Arzana. A transfer of 23 kilometers brings them to the finish line of the second stage and at the end of the day of more selective competition.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.