Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Anstie back on the pace, Fontanesi back on the podium and YZ

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

#Anstie back on the pace, #Fontanesi back on the podium and #YZ125 wins again

The ninth Grand Prix of the 2014 FIM Motocross World Championship at a packed St Jean D’Angely circuit in western France saw Yamaha proactive in various classes with 2014 YZ250F and YZ125 two-stroke machinery. Max Anstie grabbed a moto finish of seventh position and almost sealed the holeshot in the first MX2 outing, MXW Women’s World Champion Kiara Fontanesi was second overall in this fourth fixture of six for the ladies while David Herbreteau claimed a second victory of 2014 in the European EMX125 championship.

The hard and stony terrain on the west coast of France mixed fast and steep hilly sections with rutty corners. It meant technical zones of the track had to be carefully judged and there were not too many options away from a principal racing line.

Bike it Yamaha Cosworth’s Anstie had a dramatic weekend. A small electrical problem interrupted the team’s work on Saturday and meant the Englishman had to enter the gate in last position for the 30 minute and 2 lap motos on Sunday. Anstie almost seized the holeshot with a fantastic launch in the first race. The lack of fast track time so far in the weekend counted against the youngster as he slowly dropped out of contention for the top three and finished in seventh place. Sadly he could not repeat the blast away from the line in the second moto and rode to thirteenth for tenth overall.

Yamaha Factory Racing’s Christophe Charlier missed the Grand Prix due to a meniscus problem in his left knee and is due to undergo surgery on Monday with a view to a return at round ten in Italy.

Kemea Yamaha’s Petar Petrov bounced back from a disappointing British Grand Prix last week with a solid set of top ten results. The Bulgarian regained some confidence by tussling on the fringes of the top half of the leaderboard and made it to tenth place in Moto1 and eighth in Moto2; the latter finish representing his second best of the year. While Petar ended the day with ninth in the MX2 class team-mate Luke Styke was not able to start after an incident landing a jump too short on Saturday meant an injured chest with a bone fracture in the sternum. The Australian will now use the next two weeks to heal but could be a doubt for the Italian Grand Prix.

Kiara Fontanesi sprayed champagne for the fourth round of six in the MXW – FIM Women’s World Championship – at St Jean. The Italian recorded her third straight podium finish on the YRRD-kitted YZ250F and was able to increase her lead in the series by two points. The title chase is going to go all the way to the last moto. ‘Fonta’ heads Australian Meghan Rutledge by just four points and Grands Prix in Germany and Czech Republic to run. Kiara picked up race finishes of second and third on the difficult French dirt and continues to hold the red plate in pursuit of her third straight championship. In the fourth round of seven in the European EMX125 Championship Yamaha’s David Herbreteau was a deserved winner of the second race on his YZ125 two-stroke after a bright start in front of a massive, supportive home crowd. Fellow YZ-runner Alvin Ostlund was fourth overall and holds third spot in the contest as trips to Germany, Czech Republic and Belgium remain.

The FIM Motocross World Championship reconvenes in two weeks time in the idyllic setting of Maggiora for the Grand Prix of Italy.

Max Anstie
“We only got about five laps on Saturday and then I had to come in. We were playing catch-up from that point. I had no laps at all and couldn't believe it when I almost holeshotted from the outside! I was thinking ‘now this is what we have been talking about!’ but around the first lap I was all over the place; I didn't really know where I was going or landing. I made so many mistakes and rode a bit tight, which I guess was expected. Somebody took my gate for the next moto and I got tagged on the first few laps. Someone stalled and I ran into the back of him. It was chaos. We lost the time on Saturday and it counted against us but we are getting there and we need to keep going. We have a couple of weeks now to get some good riding and work done.”

Petar Petrov
“Overall I’m happy with the weekend. I got two top ten results and that was what I needed to build up my confidence again. In both races I got a good jump out of the gate but the start straight was too long for my weight and I got closed in. In the first race I came back from 17th to 10th and in the second from 13th to 8th, so that’s not too bad on a track where it’s hard to pass. After the difficult race last week it was good to see again that I have the speed. We have a weekend off now, which is great to let some injuries heal and to be ready for the next GP in Maggiora. I’m really motivated to have a strong second half of the season and with this result we can start building up again.”

Kiara Fontanesi
“I was feeling good about the weekend because the track was nice, the bike was good and I had the fastest lap in timed practice. My starts were not the best and ultimately I couldn’t find the rhythm in the races. It got to a point where I just looked at the championship. I wanted to win but second place was good for the big picture. The series is almost ending and I need to get better to make the gap bigger.”

2014 MX2-GP France

Ernée 01/06/2014

race I
1 Jeffrey Herlings KTM NED 34'07.083
2 Arnaud Tonus Kawasaki CHE 0'19.178
3 Valentin Guillod KTM CHE 0'20.249
4 Jordi Tixier KTM FRA 0'30.491
5 Romain Febvre Husqvarna FRA 0'41.655
6 Dylan Ferrandis Kawasaki FRA 0'56.313
7 Max Anstie
Yamaha
GBR 1'01.818
8 Aleksandr Tonkov Husqvarna RUS 1'09.508
9 Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 1'13.405
10 Petar Petrov
Yamaha
BGR 1'15.163
11 Tim Gajser Honda SVN 1'16.297
12 Thomas Covington Kawasaki USA 1'18.866
13 Julien Lieber Suzuki BEL 1'37.749
14 Damon Graulus KTM BEL 1'44.653
15 Mel Pocock KTM GBR 1'48.672
race II
1 Jeffrey Herlings KTM NED 35'38.863
2 Arnaud Tonus Kawasaki CHE 0'08.844
3 Jordi Tixier KTM FRA 0'42.104
4 Romain Febvre Husqvarna FRA 0'48.795
5 Tim Gajser Honda SVN 0'55.255
6 Dylan Ferrandis Kawasaki FRA 1'24.411
7 Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 1'25.905
8 Petar Petrov
Yamaha
BGR 1'26.927
9 Valentin Guillod KTM CHE 1'27.220
10 Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 1'41.044
11 Thomas Covington Kawasaki USA 1'42.490
12 Mel Pocock KTM GBR -1Laps
13 Max Anstie
Yamaha
GBR -1Laps
14 Roberts Justs Husqvarna LVA -1Laps
15 Aleksandr Tonkov Husqvarna RUS -1Laps
22 Arnaud Aubin Yamaha FRA -1Laps
24 Magne Klingsheim Yamaha NOR -2Laps

MX2-GP World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 9 of 19

1. Jeffrey Herlings KTM NED 394
2. Arnaud Tonus Kawasaki CHE 349
3. Romain Febvre Husqvarna FRA 297
4. Jordi Tixier KTM FRA 291
5. Dylan Ferrandis Kawasaki FRA 278
6. Tim Gajser Honda SVN 235
7. Aleksandr Tonkov Husqvarna RUS 216
8. Valentin Guillod KTM CHE 205
9. Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 199
10. Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NED 176
11. Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 168
12. Max Anstie
Yamaha
GBR 156
13. Petar Petrov
Yamaha
BGR 140
14. Julien Lieber Suzuki BEL 116
15. Thomas Covington Kawasaki USA 100
16. Mel Pocock KTM GBR 77
18. Luke Styke
Yamaha
AUS 68
26. Magne Klingsheim Yamaha NOR 19
32. Anton Lundgren Yamaha SWE 5
222. Christophe Charlier
Yamaha
FRA 55

Weather:
Dry
Last Years Winner:
Jeffrey Herlings

Manufacturer Standings

01/06/2014

1 KTM 424
2 Kawasaki 375
3 Husqvarna 303
4 Suzuki 275
5 Honda 245
6 Yamaha
7 TM 6
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.