Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Van Horebeek streak rolls to eight MXGP podiums

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Van #Horebeek streak rolls to eight #MXGP podiums

St Jean D’Angely was an unforgiving hard-pack racetrack and test for the best of the FIM Motocross World Championship today, and the ninth round of seventeen in the 2014 series saw Yamaha Factory Racing’s Jeremy Van Horebeek ‘on the box’ once more. The resilient Belgian continues to form a permanent part of the leading elite of the premier MXGP class and his fast and consistent efforts on this difficult French surface meant second place overall and an eighth podium visit in a row.

A boisterous, vibrant and atmospheric event at the former Motocross of Nations venue was created by 32,000 fans, fine weather and a sense of expectation with a healthy quota of French riders aiming for lofty positions in the MXGP and MX2 divisions. It would be a Belgian though who would grasp more spoils. Van Horebeek quickly got down to business around a racetrack that he enjoys by cruising to third position in the qualification heat. The 24 year old had a decent pick in the gate for the long start-straight drag race to the first corner.

JVH was a lonely third place in Moto1 to Clement Desalle and Tony Cairoli after a mediocre getaway but was part of a front-running quartet in the second race. At stages Van Horebeek had to deflect the threat of Steven Frossard behind but in others was able to get close to the rear wheel of Desalle. When leader Cairoli crashed with two laps remaining Van Horebeek was in a prime position to capitalise and his runner-up slot to Desalle meant the second step of the rostrum. The Yamaha ace keeps third place in the championship standings but is just 15 points from Desalle and 35 from Cairoli and the red plate.

Former World Champion David Philippaerts has had good days and bad at St Jean. The French track was the site of his first GP win almost ten years ago but has also delivered misfortune. 2014 was the turn of some ill luck. An average start in Moto1 meant a tough fight in mid-pack to arrive to 15th. The Italian crashed out of the second moto when a fall round the new section at the top of the track led to a broken throttle and dislocated pinkie finger on his right hand.

Bike it Yamaha Cosworth’s Rui Gonçalves had a thorough outing in France. The Portuguese felt OK with his ankle twisted in the UK last week but was not spared the effect of a rock to the face on Saturday! Rui lost some positions in the first moto with a crash that dropped from the top eight down to twelfth but his rhythm was effective in the second race to seventh and his joint-best result so far this season. The veteran racer was 8th overall.

Yamaha’s MXGP crew will have a week to re-group and consider more testing and training for hard-pack dirt. Grands Prix in Italy (Maggiora) and Germany (Teutschenthal) constitute their international duties for June with the mythical circuit north of Milan ready for round ten on June 15th.

Jeremy Van Horebeek

“I had a bad start in the first moto and Tony and Clement had already gone so I settled in third place and kept smooth, saving energy for the next race. I started better for the second moto and we got away together. I said to myself ‘keep on two wheels’ because this track was one line and difficult to pass; the same old St Jean. If you put pressure on people then it is easier for them to make mistakes and this is what I tried to do. I felt really good out on a difficult track and I believe this was one of my best races in the MXGP class.”

David Philippaerts
“I have many good memories here in St Jean…but the more I think then also some big crashes! It is a very difficult track. It was well watered and very stony. I started badly in the first moto and was outside the top twenty, so to come back to fifteenth was OK. I started better in the second moto but when I jumped through the new section I had a crash together with Strijbos and broke the throttle. It wasn’t possible to open the gas any more so I had to stop. I am happy because I know I am fast and the bike is working well and I can stay in the second group of MXGP; it is important to be there because it means positions 5-10. We will plan for the home Grand Prix now and then a long part of the calendar with Germany, Sweden and Finland coming up.”

2014 MXGP France

Saint Jean d'Angely 01/06/2014

race I
1 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 33'48.880
2 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 0'00.602
3 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'34.663
4 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'37.158
5 Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 0'41.290
6 Steven Frossard Kawasaki FRA 0'45.568
7 Xavier Boog Honda FRA 1'01.240
8 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 1'06.237
9 Dennis Ullrich KTM GER 1'08.293
10 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 1'15.518
11 Matiss Karro KTM LVA 1'24.124
12 Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 1'25.281
13 Valentin Teillet Kawasaki FRA 1'26.311
14 Milko Potisek Yamaha FRA 1'28.196
15 David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 1'32.005
race II
1 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 33'47.790
2 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'01.575
3 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 0'01.774
4 Steven Frossard Kawasaki FRA 0'06.786
5 Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 0'42.302
6 Tommy Searle Kawasaki GBR 0'53.826
7 Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 0'55.634
8 Matiss Karro KTM LVA 1'09.383
9 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 1'13.164
10 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 1'13.164
11 Valentin Teillet Kawasaki FRA 1'25.761
12 Dennis Ullrich KTM GER 1'32.454
13 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 1'38.394
14 Tanel Leok TM EST 1'39.594
15 Cedric Soubeyras Honda FRA 2'03.502
21 Milko Potisek Yamaha FRA -16Laps

MXGP World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 9 of 19

1. Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 393
2. Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 373
3. Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 358
4. Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 276
5. Gautier Paulin Kawasaki FRA 205
6. Steven Frossard Kawasaki FRA 197
7. Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 183
8. Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 168
9. Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 166
10. Xavier Boog Honda FRA 159
11. Joel Roelants Honda BEL 158
12. Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 142
13. Davide Guarneri TM ITA 139
14. David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 132
15. Jake Nicholls KTM GBR 119
16. Tyla Rattray Husqvarna RSA 116
22. Milko Potisek Yamaha FRA 31
40. Amirezza Sabetifar Yamaha IRI 2
43. Raul Alvarez Yamaha ESP 1

Circuit Length:
Weather:
Dry

Manufacturer Standings

01/06/2014

1 KTM 393
2 Suzuki 383
3 Yamaha
4 Kawasaki 340
5 Honda 282
6 Husqvarna 200
7 TM 167
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.