Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

AJO TAKE HUSQVARNA TO FIFTH IN MUGELLO MOTO3 GP

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

AJO TAKE #HUSQVARNA TO FIFTH IN MUGELLO #MOTO3 GP

Husqvarna supported rider Niklas Ajo delivered a personal best at the Mugello circuit in Italy on Sunday when he finished fifth in Rd. 6 Moto3 GP in what was one of the most tightly fought finishes so far this season.

Ajo’s race was impressive given that he started at fifteenth on the grid after a difficult qualifying and was fighting for a podium with a tight pack of lead riders going into the final corner. When Ajo crossed the line to claim his fifth place he was only 0.260 seconds behind the race winner Romano Fenati.

It was not such a happy weekend for Husqvarna factory rider Danny Kent who had to battle stomach flu as well as the challenging race conditions and hard fought race. Kent finished fifteenth to claim the final world championship point and preserve his record of having picked up points in every race so far this season. It is Husqvarna’s debut season in the class and they are currently third in the Manufacturer’s point standings. Both Kent and Ajo ride the Husqvarna FR 250 GP bike.

Just like the motto of the Italian GP: "Al Mugello non si dorme" –At Mugello one doesn’t sleep– there was plenty of action in the popular sweeping circuit and both Husqvarna riders made strong comebacks during the race. Kent, who started at the back of the grid, claimed his fifteenth place after overtaking no less than 11 riders. Both he and Ajo now have 27 championship points and are eleventh and twelfth on the points-table

Niklas Ajo: “I lost many positions in the opening laps and I had to push a lot to keep up. On the last lap I thought that it was my moment and I gradually worked my way into the top positions. On the last corner of the last lap I made a good start, but Oliveira pushed me a little onto grass and I think that was where I lost the podium. I thought I would have had the opportunity to take advantage of multiple slipstreams. Anyway, it was a great race and I'm very happy."

Danny Kent: "We knew it would be difficult to have a good race after the way the qualifying session went. The whole race was very hard. After just four laps, my energy was sapped. I gave it my best but it wasn’t the result we wanted. But the way things went a point isn’t a bad return. I am confident that we can improve."

Team Manager Aki Ajo: “I’m happy that Danny was able to finish the race. We were quite worried this morning because he has this stomach flu and already in the warm-up he didn’t have any power. Congratulations to Danny that he was able to finish the race and to get a championship point.”

Speaking of Niklas Ajo’s personal best race, the team boss said: “Niklas was really strong all week on most of the track. He was only a bit weaker in the last corner and maybe that’s why he was losing time on the straight. But he also improved here in the race and we really saw he was fast in T2 and T3. He lost the chance at a podium in the final corner but it was a pretty good race.”
Next round of the Moto3 World Championship is on June 15 at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

Moto3 Results Rd. 6 GP of Italy at Mugello
1, Romano Fenati, ITA, KTM, 39:46.256
2, Isaac Viñales, ESP, KTM, 39:46.266
3, Alex Rins, ESP, Honda, 39:46.267
4, Miguel Oliveira, POR, Mahindra, 39:46.377
5, Niklas Ajo, FIN, Husqvarna, 39:46.516
Other Husqvarna
15, Danny Kent, GBR, Husqvarna

Moto3 Standings after Round 6
1, Miller, 104
2, Fenati, 99
3, Rins, 87
4, Vazquez, 76
5, Viñales, 64
Other Husqvarna
11, Niklas Ajo 27
12, Danny Kent, 27
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.