Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Conor Cummins secures Superbike TT podium

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

#Conor Cummins secures #Superbike TT podium

The 2014 Isle of Man TT races got underway today with Honda Racing’s Conor Cummins securing a podium finish in the opening Superbike race. His team-mate John McGuinness – who is still recovering from a broken scaphoid – completed the six-lap outing in seventh place.

The race began at 11am in warm and sunny conditions and by the end of lap one, Cummins was in third aboard his Honda Racing CBR1000RR Fireblade SP machine. A smooth and confident performance saw the Manxman putting serious pressure on second-placed rider Guy Martin, with a gap of less than a second at the halfway stage.

Cummins eventually crossed the line just under three seconds behind Martin to take his fifth TT podium – his first on a Superbike since a serious crash on the Mountain course in 2010, which threatened to end his road racing career.

McGuinness, meanwhile, dug deep and got his head down, climbing from eighth to fifth by lap four. The 20-time Isle of Man TT winner was in the battle for fourth place until the end of the penultimate lap, when a late attack from Bruce Anstey coupled with a wave of backmarkers saw him drop down to seventh come the chequered flag.

In what turned out to be a spectacular opener, a new outright lap record of 132.298mph was set by Bruce Anstey aboard his Padgetts Motorcycles Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade.

The Honda Racing team will reconvene on Friday 6 June for the Senior TT.

Neil Tuxworth team manager

It was an excellent race for Conor today. When you consider everything he has been through over the past few years, it’s incredible and I’m really pleased for him. It was hard for John, although finishing seventh wasn’t a bad result considering his injury. He was struggled towards the end of the race but he was battling for fourth at one stage. Overall it’s been a great day for Honda, with more machines in the top ten than any other manufacturer and a new outright lap record set by Bruce on the Padgett’s Honda Fireblade.

Conor Cummins

It’s been a tricky few years since my accident and I’m just so happy to be here, I can’t say much more than that. I’m feel like I’m riding well and I’m learning all the time on the Honda Fireblade. I was really pushing for second place and I had good boards all around the course, so thanks to the boys that were out there. I can’t say a big enough thank you to Honda Racing, my sponsors and all the people that have helped me get here today.

John McGuinness

It’s does feel strange not to be in the winners' enclosure, but I knew going in to the race that I might struggle. Three or four weeks ago I thought I wouldn’t even be able to compete, so to finish six laps and place in the top ten I don’t feel like I’ve disgraced myself. My wrist was holding me back in some places but in others it wasn’t on my mind. I need to take the positives from this – I was in the hunt for fourth before I got held up and I finished the race, so as I said, I didn’t disgrace myself.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.