Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

STEWART FIGHT BACK TO SIXTH AT GLEN HELEN

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

STEWART FIGHT BACK TO SIXTH AT GLEN #HELEN

Team #Suzuki Press Office – May 27.

#Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Racing’s James Stewart pressed forward with grit and determination at the opening round of the AMA Pro Motocross Championships at Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, California on Saturday.

Although he suffered some bad luck in both 30-minute motos, he still managed to race his Yoshimura Suzuki RM-Z450 to a respectable sixth-place result overall at the season-opening round of the series.

After a four-year hiatus from racing at the infamous circuit, the series returned to Glen Helen for round one of the championships and Stewart was ready to win. But unfortunately, he got a poor start in the first moto, but still managed to work his way-up to make a bid for the podium until another rider slowed in front and Stewart ran into him.

Said Stewart: “It was a rough day. It was a very rough day! In the first moto, I got a bad start but I made my way up to fourth and ended up running into the back of a guy. I don’t know if he stalled-it or if he went to switch lines, but he basically stopped in the corner and I hit him. But I picked the bike back up and got up in 13th and made my way back up to sixth.”

The second moto saw Stewart get a better start on his Yoshimura Suzuki RM-Z450 but then he got caught up with another rider. Despite a few setbacks, Stewart turned up the heat and made his way through the field to finish sixth again. The two sixth-place moto results gave him sixth overall for the day.

“In the second moto I got a good jump off the start,” said Stewart. “I don’t know what happened, but I got tangled with another rider and I almost went down. So I steadily worked my way up and was catching-up to fifth. But I made a couple of mistakes and some guys got around me. Then I almost lost it and took about 30 fans out and went into the fence, but I saved it. We’ll salvage the points from this race and we’ll be back next week. We’ve got the first race out of the way. We know how the series is, things don’t start really kicking in until round three or four. We’ll get off this Glen Helen dirt and get up to Hangtown and go on from there.”

Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Racing’s next race is round two of the 2014 AMA Pro Motocross Championships on Saturday, May 31st at the Hangtown Motocross Classic in Sacramento, California.

2014 Glen Helen MX 450 Results:

1. Ryan Dungey (KTM) (3-1)
2. Ken Roczen (KTM) (2-2)
3. Trey Canard (Honda) (7-3)
4. Brett Metcalfe (Kawasaki) (4-5)
5. Josh Grant (Yamaha) (1-15)
6. James Stewart (Yoshimura Suzuki) (6-6)
7. Malcolm Stewart (Honda) (8-8)
8. Jake Weimer (Kawasaki) (10-7)
9. Weston Peick (Suzuki) (5-13)
10. Chad Reed (Kawasaki) (9-10)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.