Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Van Horebeek takes podium tally to seven in a row in Britain

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Van #Horebeek takes podium tally to seven in a row in #Britain

Jeremy Van Horebeek roared back from some adversity at the Grand Prix of Great Britain to take third position and climb the podium again – his seventh consecutive top three finish in the premier MXGP class - at Matterley Basin today. The Belgian was once more a prominent force on the Yamaha Factory Racing YZ450FM and rode to a pair of third positions on the tacky and enjoyable racing surface in the south of England.

25,000 fans braved a changeable climate that saw the weekend swapping rain for sunshine at regular intervals thanks to a stiff breeze. The showers on Friday and Saturday gave some superb natural watering to the Matterley dirt and allowed it to carve into a technical and rutty prospect. The scenic layout – which has hosted the British round of the MXGP series since 2011 – made for a long lap-time and once more gave unparalleled views to the spectators that lined the fences around the track.

Van Horebeek’s weekend did not get off to the most fortunate of starts. A problem with the start clip on his front fork guard led to a breakage of the brake hose as he was plotting a fast course from fourth to second position in Saturday’s Qualification Heat. He pitted and rode the second half of the twenty minute and two lap distance with no stopping power on the front end and collected a brave fifteenth.

On Sunday, and under some welcome blue skies, JVH was again a firm presence in the leading group. The 2014 Italian Champion rode a pair of lonely races to third position each time and although he tried to fend off Tony Cairoli while holding second in Moto2 was unable to resist the Italian. Van Horebeek’s unparalleled consistency means he is third in the championship standings.

DP19 Yamaha racing’s David Philippaerts had a reasonable day to tenth overall. The Italian didn't start so well in the first moto and ran to eleventh. He was in the top six at the launch of the second but was too hesitant in the formative stages and again dropped down to the fringes of the top ten. Rui Gonçalves took his Bike it Yamaha Cosworth YZ450F to seventeenth overall and defied a painful twisted ankle to complete the Grand Prix. Thirteenth was his best race finish and was scored in the second moto.

Almost half of the 2014 campaign fills the MXGP scorecard and Van Horebeek, who has held a spot in the top three of the division for the vast majority of ’14 so far, is 35 points away from his first taste of the red plate and first place. Philippaerts is further back in twelfth while Gonçalves is thirteenth.

Regular Grand Prix hosting circuit St Jean D’Angely will again entertain the French stop on the FIM Motocross World Championship calendar next weekend with the ninth round of the season nudging the series into June.

Jeremy Van Horebeek

“This is one of my favourite tracks of the year and the GP did not go like I wanted. I struggled all the way through and I guess it is not the best day for me. Still, we are on the podium again so I did pretty well I suppose. I’m looking forward to going to France now. All these podium finishes are great for me and the team. I feel really good with the way it is going. It’s just today wasn’t so great and I prefer to finish third twice than to come off the bike and register zero points.”

David Philippaerts
“A bad race…but good in some ways because I made some points for the championship and I’m close to the top ten; this is important because we have to look at the overall season. I didn't start the first moto well and finished eleventh. I pushed a lot in the first part of the race and I did the same at the beginning of the second because I was up in sixth. I was too slow in the first ten minutes! I don't know why but riders were passing me left and right and I was pretty angry. I was setting good lap-times by the end but it was too late. Anyway we have to focus on the top ten and my riding is getting better. My training is good and the bike is working well. Everything is correct but I now need to work on the first laps of the race to stay closer to the front.”

Rui Goncalves
“Definitely a tough weekend. I was looking to turn around some problems we had on Saturday for raceday but I was last into the gate and then trying to do something from the back of the pack when I twisted my ankle on the third lap. I had a lot of pain but figured if I wanted to be out there for the second moto then I needed to ride for a while. I was dead-last and just concentrated on reaching the finish. The second race was a little bit better; better start and better rhythm. I had painkillers between motos to survive the weekend and will now go home to get checked out.”

2014 MXGP United Kingdom

Matterley Basin 25/05/2014

race I
1 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 35'06.163
2 Steven Frossard Kawasaki FRA 0'03.859
3 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'13.248
4 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 0'19.366
5 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'27.520
6 Tommy Searle Kawasaki GBR 0'40.699
7 Jake Nicholls KTM GBR 0'42.154
8 Tyla Rattray Husqvarna RSA 0'53.366
9 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 1'12.119
10 Tanel Leok TM EST 1'12.857
11 David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 1'23.706
12 Xavier Boog Honda FRA 1'27.199
13 Joel Roelants Honda BEL 1'29.891
14 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 1'33.264
15 Dennis Ullrich KTM GER 1'36.692
21 Ryan Houghton Yamaha GBR -1Laps
24 Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR -2Laps
race II
1 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 35'00.023
2 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 0'17.717
3 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'31.838
4 Tyla Rattray Husqvarna RSA 0'35.822
5 Tommy Searle Kawasaki GBR 0'42.005
6 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 0'43.077
7 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'54.148
8 Matiss Karro KTM LVA 0'59.449
9 Jake Nicholls KTM GBR 1'01.224
10 Joel Roelants Honda BEL 1'03.625
11 David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 1'07.511
12 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 1'09.256
13 Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 1'10.846
14 Dennis Ullrich KTM GER 1'25.537
15 Ken De Dycker KTM BEL 1'34.363
22 Ryan Houghton Yamaha GBR -1Laps

MXGP World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 8 of 19

1. Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 351
2. Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 323
3. Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 316
4. Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 250
5. Gautier Paulin Kawasaki FRA 205
6. Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 166
7. Steven Frossard Kawasaki FRA 164
8. Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 159
9. Joel Roelants Honda BEL 153
10. Xavier Boog Honda FRA 145
11. Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 136
12. David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 126
13. Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 119
14. Jake Nicholls KTM GBR 118
15. Tyla Rattray Husqvarna RSA 116
16. Davide Guarneri TM ITA 116
23. Milko Potisek Yamaha FRA 24
40. Amirezza Sabetifar Yamaha IRI 2
41. Raul Alvarez Yamaha ESP 1

Weather:
Dry
Last Years Winner:
Clement Desalle

Manufacturer Standings

25/05/2014

1 KTM 351
2 Suzuki 333
3 Yamaha
4 Kawasaki 307
5 Honda 250
6 Husqvarna 200
7 TM 144
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.