Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

No home satisfaction for Rea and Haslam

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

No home satisfaction for #Rea and #Haslam

Pata Honda World Superbike riders Jonathan Rea and Leon Haslam did not leave their home race at Donington Park in the UK today with great satisfaction, but take away a collection of points from their top ten finishes in the two fifth-round races.

Starting from eighth place on the grid for the two 23-lappers around the 4.023km Donington Park circuit, Rea struggled for grip in both outings and took two sixth place finishes.

The 27-year-old from Northern Ireland came to the UK with a slender four-point lead in the championship over fellow Brit, Tom Sykes, who won both of today’s races. Rea remains second in the championship, however, tied with Loriz Baz who was second twice today.

Rea’s Pata Honda team-mate, Leon Haslam, put his Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade SP on the front row for today’s races after a wet Superpole session yesterday.

However, the 30-year-old rider, who lives very close to Donington Park, was unable to give his friends, family and supporters much to cheer about, finishing eighth in race one and seventh in the second outing.

Jonathan Rea - sixth and sixth

It’s not been the perfect weekend after Imola, but I think we were ready for that. We really struggled on Friday with a few things and the low-grip nature of Donington caused us to suffer quite a lot throughout the weekend. In both races it was a struggle, and it’s difficult for me to understand how the bike was so good in Imola and why we struggled more here. But finishing two 23-lap races will give the guys some great data to take away and look at so that when, in the future, we arrive at circuits that aren’t so grippy, we can have an idea of how to maximise a result. We finished quite far from the race winners today and it’s not the best situation. But we can leave Donington with some positives and we’re all really looking forward to the next few races.

Leon Haslam - eighth and seventh

I was happy with qualifying in the wet but the races have not been good at all. Finishing eighth and seventh is only slightly offset by the fact that Jonathan had the same problems this weekend. In race two I caught up in some carnage with a couple of incidents at the hairpin and ended up dropping from third to about twelfth. That finished the afternoon for me, really, which is disappointing at my home round. Looking at the times we were doing, they’re not far off what I was doing two or three years ago. It’s been frustrating, of course, but I have a lot of faith and confidence in the team and Malaysia is a new track for everyone, so I’m looking forward to the next round.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

It’s clearly been quite a disappointing weekend, seeing the guys in sixth, seventh, eighth positions after such a strong event in Imola. In general we suffered from not having a dry Saturday because on Friday it became quite apparent that we needed some more time to make a good set-up. The guys are still de-briefing, checking what the problems were but, for sure, the general low level of grip did not work in our favour. We have some work to do if we are going to strike back in Sepang.

Weather
Sunny Intervals

Air
16°C

Track
22°C

Humidity
60%

Race 1 Results - Donington Park, 4.023km - 23 laps

1 Tom Sykes 34m23.929s GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
2 Loris Baz +1.538s FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
3 Alex Lowes +6.394s GBR SUZUKI Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
4 Marco Melandri +11.875s ITA APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team
5 Chaz Davies +14.514s GBR DUCATI Ducati Superbike Team
6 Jonathan Rea +14.708s GBR HONDA Pata Honda
7 Sylvain Guintoli +18.483s FRA APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team
8 Leon Haslam +29.295s GBR HONDA Pata Honda
9 Toni Elias +31.291s ESP APRILIA Red Devils Roma
10 David Salom +46.953s ESP KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team

Weather
Sunny Intervals

Air
18°C

Track
28°C

Humidity
35%

Race 2 Results - Donington Park, 4.023km - 23 laps

1 Tom Sykes 34m14.134s GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
2 Loris Baz +3.678s FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
3 Sylvain Guintoli +7.376s FRA APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team
4 Davide Guigliano +10.827s ITA DUCATI Ducati Superbike Team
5 Chaz Davies +15.140s GBR DUCATI Ducati Superbike Team
6 Jonathan Rea +17.975s GBR HONDA Pata Honda
7 Leon Haslam +33.737s GBR HONDA Pata Honda
8 Toni Elias +40.362s ESP APRILIA Red Devils Roma
9 Alex Lowes +41.465s GBR SUZUKI Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
10 David Salom +48.929s ESP KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team

Championship Standings - Round 5

1 Tom Sykes 185 pts GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
2 Jonathan Rea 159 pts GBR HONDA Pata Honda
3 Loris Baz 159 pts FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
4 Sylvain Guintoli 148 pts FRA APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team
5 Chaz Davies 109 pts GBR DUCATI Ducati Superbike Team
6 Marco Melandri 97 pts ITA APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team
7 Davide Guigliano 82 pts ITA DUCATI Ducati Superbike Team
8 Leon Haslam 75 pts GBR HONDA Pata Honda
9 Alex Lowes 73 pts GBR SUZUKI Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
10 Eugene Laverty 65 pts IRL SUZUKI Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.