Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Van der Mark wins at Donington to extend championship lead

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Van der Mark wins at #Donington to extend championship lead

Pata Honda rider Michael van der Mark took his Honda CBR600RR to a second World Supersport victory at today’s fifth-round race at Donington Park in the UK and so extended his championship lead to 14 points.

The 21-year-old Dutch ace started today’s 20-lap race around the 4.023km Donington circuit from pole position, but a bad start left van der Mark in sixth place in the opening laps. However, he worked his way to the front and enjoyed a thrilling last-lap battle with Frenchman Jules Cluzel, who was second today, and British rider Kev Coghlan who completed the podium.

But van der Mark’s joy was tempered by despair for his Pata Honda team-mate Lorenzo Zanettit who was forced to retire from today’s race with a mechanical problem when the 26-year-old Italian looked certain for another podium finish.

Zanetti won the last World Supersport championship race at Imola in Italy and held third place in the standings until today’s sudden retirement when he was running third, just five laps from the end of the race.

Michael van der Mark - first

It’s been an amazing weekend and we were really fast from the beginning when it was dry on Friday. Yesterday, in the wet, I took my first pole position but today my start to the race wasn’t that good. I struggled with grip in the first few laps but later in the race, when I found my own pace, I got faster and faster. I caught the group in front of me and passed them slowly. When I managed to pass them I was able to go away and then had a nice fight with Jules [Cluzel]. I made a few small mistakes and for the last two corners I didn’t want to take too much risk. I’m really happy and want to thank the team – we’ve worked hard all weekend and then I had a silly crash in warm-up. Luckily they were able to repair the bike quickly and it was perfect today.

Lorenzo Zanetti - DNF

I’m really disappointed and angry, but I know this is racing. I started really well and know that I had potential to fight for the win. I pushed to stay with the first group and had everything under control. I was waiting for the last three or four laps before I wanted to push but the bike broke before then. Everything was OK before then and the bike felt great and it’s important to be fighting for the win. But this is racing. I think I can fight at every race now, even if I like some tracks more than others. I’ve had two DNFs now and Mikey’s [van der Mark] win today didn’t help the in championship but fighting for the win is important for my career.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

It was a mixed day today. Lorenzo rode strongly right from the start and looked sure to be heading for the podium before his mechanical problem. I felt so sorry for him because he was riding really well and deserved a podium. Michael got off to a slow start from his pole position and it took him a while to get into a groove. When he finally got into a good rhythm he was really strong and battled the last few laps with Cluzel and got the better of him to win. He has a clear lead in the championship now, so we’re very happy for that.

Weather
Sunny Intervals

Air
16°C

Track
27°C

Race Results - Donington Park, 4.023km - 20 laps

1 Michael van der Mark 30m47.132s NED HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
2 Jules Cluzel +0.114s FRA MV MV Agusta RC-Yakhnich Motorsport
3 Kev Coghlan +1.266s GBR YAMAHA DMC Panavto-Yamaha
4 Kenan Sofuoglu +1.556s TUR KAWASAKI MAHI Racing Team India
5 Florian Marino +7.472s FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
6 Patrick Jacobson +10.557s USA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
7 Jack Kennedy +13.952s IRL HONDA CIA Insurance Honda
8 Roberto Tamburini +14.783s ITA KAWASAKI San Carlo Puccetti Racing
9 Raffaele De Rosa +15.363s ITA HONDA Core PTR Honda
10 Roberto Rolfo +16.585s ITA KAWASAKI Team GO Eleven

Championship Standings - Round 5

1 Michael van der Mark 90 pts NED HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
2 Florian Marino 76 pts FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
3 Jules Cluzel 62 pts FRA MV MV Agusta RC-Yakhnich Motorsport
4 Kev Coghlan 60 pts GBR YAMAHA DMC Panavto-Yamaha
5 Lorenzo Zanetti 49 pts ITA HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
6 Raffaele De Rosa 45 pts ITA HONDA Core PTR Honda
7 Kenan Sofuoglu 38 pts TUR KAWASAKI MAHI Racing Team India
8 Roberto Tamburini 37 pts ITA KAWASAKI San Carlo Puccetti Racing
9 Roberto Rolfo 36 pts ITA KAWASAKI Team GO Eleven
10 Patrick Jacobson 32 pts USA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.