Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Front row for Haslam at home

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Front row for #Haslam at home

Pata #Honda #rider Leon Haslam will start tomorrow’s two fifth-round World Superbike championship races at Donington Park in the UK from the front row of the grid after setting the second-fastest time in today’s Superpole.

The 30-year-old, who lives just half-an-hour’s drive from the 4.023km circuit set a time of 1m45.009s, just 0.1s from pole-setter Davide Giugliano, after heavy and persistent rain had left Donington wet and slippery.

Haslam’s Pata Honda team-mate Jonathan Rea crashed out in the wet conditions at Donington’s Melbourne hairpin after looking comfortable for a front row start for tomorrow’s two 23-lap races.

The 27-year-old from Northern Ireland had been in a provisional front row slot and was on target to set the fastest time before sliding off with just three minutes of the session remaining.

Leon Haslam - P2

Since breaking my leg last year we haven’t had the best of times, or been where we want to be in terms of results, so for me it’s good to get my season started on the front row here at Donington. We’ve still got a little bit more work to do for the dry set-up but I had a good feeling with the bike in the rain at Assen and we’ve made a lot of steps over the winter. Fingers crossed I can get the start that’s needed and we can be in there with the front guys tomorrow.

Jonathan Rea - P8

It was a tough Superpole for me to finish up eighth, and I don’t think we’ve started from the third row this season. So a really good couple of starts have to be on the menu tomorrow for me to get away with the front guys. I made a really costly mistake in the latter stages in a pivotal moment in the session, just when everybody was starting to go really fast. I was feeling really comfortable and setting a really good pace. I’m quite happy with our bike in the rain conditions like we had but with the weekend schedule we’ve really struggled with dry time. With three dry sessions on the bounce we weren’t able to spend the evening analysing data from the day to come back strong. I think we’re a little under prepared for the race tomorrow but I have confidence that my guys will give me a C BR to battle at the front tomorrow, regardless of the conditions.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

Jonathan was riding really well in the wet and was the fastest guy on track until his small crash. That left him in eighth because the others were able to continue to improve. For tomorrow, we have a plan for the dry and he’s next to Tom Sykes on the grid so I’m sure he’ll not let Tom get away! I’m really happy that Leon kept it together during the wet session and ended just a tenth off pole. After a long struggle, everything has come together and it’s fantastic to see him at the front. He has a confidence boost in case it’s dry too, but to see him starting from the front row is inspiring and I wish him two good races.

Weather
Wet

Air
15°C

Track
19°C

Humidity
56%

Qualifying Results

1 Davide Guigliano 1m44.903s ITA DUCATI Ducati Superbike Team
2 Leon Haslam 1m45.009s GBR HONDA Pata Honda
3 Marco Melandri 1m45.111s ITA APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team
4 Alex Lowes 1m45.258s GBR SUZUKI Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
5 Sylvain Guintoli 1m45.839s FRA APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team
6 Loris Baz 1m46.058s FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
7 Tom Sykes 1m46.241s GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
8 Jonathan Rea 1m46.306s GBR HONDA Pata Honda
9 Toni Elias 1m46.326s ESP APRILIA Red Devils Roma
10 Eugene Laverty 1m47.963s IRL SUZUKI Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.