Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Cummins on the NW200 podium on Honda Racing debut

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Cummins on the #NW200 podium on @Honda #Racing debut

Conor Cummins made his competitive debut for Honda Racing at the North West 200 today, securing a podium finish and a sixth place in the two Superbike races aboard his 2014 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade SP machine.

The first Superbike outing was shortened from seven to five laps after heavy rainfall left the 8.9-mile Triangle circuit in difficult conditions. The race began just before 1pm with Cummins getting off to a good start and fighting his way into second place by the end of the second lap.

An attack from Michael Dunlop on the penultimate lap saw the Manxman drop back to third place, where he held fast until the chequered flag to take his third-ever North West 200 podium and his second of the day, having placed second in the earlier Supersport race. William Dunlop took the win with Michael Dunlop in second place.

Race two was also shortened to five laps and went ahead at 5pm on a drying track. Cummins put in another solid performance, eventually settling for sixth place and rounding off his Honda Racing debut in satisfying style. The race was won by Michael Dunlop with Josh Brookes in second and Alastair Seeley in third.

John McGuinness struggled today as the broken scaphoid he sustained two months ago continues to heal. The six-time North West 200 winner was unable to finish either of the two Superbike races, pulling in to the pits on the final lap of both.

The Honda Racing team will now turn its attention to the Isle of Man TT, which begins on Monday 26 May.

Neil Tuxworth team manager

It’s been difficult for John due to his injury and the fact that he’s had very little time on the bike. This circuit is particularly hard on his wrist as you have to break heavily seven or eight times. I think it will be a little easier for him at the TT after two more weeks of recuperation. On the other side, Conor has had a fantastic day and he’s performing just as I expected. I think he’ll be one of the top contenders at this year’s TT without a doubt.

John McGuinness DNF DNF

I’m not going to lie, today has been one of the toughest days I’ve ever had in racing. My wrist injury has made things very difficult around this circuit and it was almost impossible for me to push, particularly in the conditions we had today. I just have to put this behind me and look ahead to the TT. I’ve got another week or so of recovery and physio time so let’s hope I can improve things before we head there.

Conor Cummins 3rd 6th

It’s been a good day at the office for me. If someone has told me last night that I could have a third and a sixth today, I’ve have taken that without hesitation. The weather played a big role today and it’s been tricky racing but I’m happy. I just wanted to get that last race done and now I’m in a really positive frame of mind to head to the TT. All in all, it’s been a great day.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.