Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

JULIEN LIEBER BLOG

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

JULIEN LIEBER #BLOG

Team Suzuki Press Office – May 3.

#Rockstar Energy #Suzuki Europe MX2 rider Julien Lieber talks about his season so far ahead of tomorrow’s Valkenswaard sixth round in The Netherlands.

It has been a bit up and down for you so far in 2014 with a best result of 11th in the first moto in Bulgaria…

“It has been difficult to come back. I’ve been crashing too much, and in training as well, and it has counted against me in the week. In Brazil I was sick! Overall getting a rhythm going this season has been tough. I have to be patient but it’s mentally very hard to be like that! I’m missing some confidence on the bike and it is annoying that physically there has been stuff holding me back.”

How have you found the 2014 spec of the RM-Z250?

“I trained a lot over the winter with the standard bike and now we have the race bike and it’s taken a little getting used to.”

You are still young, so plenty of time left in MX2 under the 23 age rule…

“This is my third season, without injury, and I’m 20 soon, so I have three more years at least. I know I am easily a top-10 rider and then top-five on certain tracks but I have to believe it."

Just how tough was it to come back from that knee ligament injury?

“I’ve never had such a big injury and to miss so much time riding. It seems crazy to think that I only did four races in 2013. Of course it was a big transition to go from training and working to nothing. In the first week after the operation I couldn't do much but then the rehab started and I kept busy with the physio and cycling after that. I came to two GPs to watch.”

It must be hard also to cope with the pressure of needing to get the job done as part of a factory team…

“Sure there is pressure but I know the season is long and there are still a lot of races left. I have time to build-up and get the results I know I can. I think everybody here [in the GP paddock] has that hanging over them. You have to deliver if you want to be at this level. I know I am trying too hard in the first laps at the moment. I am too desperate and making mistakes and crashing. I need to settle down a bit and find my way back into the motos.”

Were there any positives or things you could take from last year’s write-off?

“Not so much! I kept my training the same as I did for 2013 because I felt that it was working well at the beginning of last year. Perhaps mentally I was able to deal with some of the low moments. I learned about that I guess.”

Valkenswaard this weekend and then a trip to Spain for a track that last saw a GP in 2000. Then the British GP at Matterley Basin. Thoughts?

“Last year I got my best MX2 result with sixth in Valkenswaard so that was good. I’ve never been to Spain so that will be a discovery. Matterley for the British Grand Prix is a great track with some nice big jumps, so I’m looking forward to that.”
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.