Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

SUZUKI DOMINATES TAUPO TT SUPERBIKES

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

#SUZUKI DOMINATES TAUPO TT #SUPERBIKES

Team Suzuki Press Office – March 24.

Team Suzuki dominated the two main TT classes at the penultimate round of the New Zealand Superbike Championships at Taupo at the weekend as Scott Moir (Suzuki GSX-R1000) won the TT title in the 1000cc Superbike class and Alastair Hoogenboezem (Suzuki GSX-R600) claimed the TT crown in the 600cc Supersport class.

Moir’s 2-1 result saw him leap up from fourth to third in the standings and a podium finish seems a distinct possibility as the series heads to Manfeild for the final round next weekend

Dennis Charlett and John Ross also rode solidly to maintain their respective leads in the Superbike and 600cc Supersport championships: Charlett (Suzuki GSX-R1000) finished fifth and fourth - the programme reduced to just two races for the Superbike riders because of a major oil spill on the track - but that was enough for him to extend his lead from 20 points to 24 over his nearest rival, Nick Cole.

Ross (Suzuki GSX-R600) managed 2-6-2 in his three Supersport races and, although his main rival for the title, Toby Summers, did gain 10 points on him, he still enjoys a healthy 28-point advantage as they head to Manfeild.

The surprise package at the weekend was 21-year-old apprentice builder Hoogenboezem (pictured) as he celebrated a career breakthrough and thrust himself into contention for the No.2 spot in the Supersport class, or even the outright win. He was the best-performing rider in the class, finishing 4-1-1, collecting the TT title and climbing to within just nine points of Summers.

Said Hoogenboezem “I had never won a 600cc race before at national championship level. To come here and get two wins, plus win the TT title is pretty exciting stuff. I guess it has been a breakthrough moment for me. I knew I had the pace to win but I finally managed to string it all together at Taupo.

“Second place in the championship is now within reach. I’m still nine points behind Toby Summers but anything can happen. I have previously won the national 125GP title, in 2010, but this is a way-bigger deal and I have been riding at near lap record pace all season. I’m looking forward to Manfeild.”

Suzuki riders also claimed the TT trophies in the Pro Twins and Superlite classes: Royd Walker-Holt (Suzuki SV650) won the Pro Twins TT race and Hayden Fitzgerald (Suzuki SV650) was victorious in the Superlites class TT race. Both Walker-Holt and Fitzgerald also lead their respective classes in the chase for the championship overall.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.