Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Fantastic first MXGP podium for Van Horebeek

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Fantastic first #MXGP podium for Van #Horebeek

@Yamaha Factory Racing continued their buoyant beginning to the FIM Motocross World Championship as Jeremy Van Horebeek celebrated a first podium finish with his works YZ450FM in the premier class at Si Racha for the Grand Prix of Thailand. Round two of eighteen took place in typically hot and demanding conditions and with 22,000 spectators braving the incessant sunshine at the venue close to the coastal city of Pattaya. Van Horebeek achieved his milestone – his first career MXGP trophy in just over one season in the category – with confident and error-free runs to two third positions in the two motos.

Si Racha was hosting a Grand Prix for just the second time and the course was mostly unchanged from 2013, thus fast, sweeping and undulating with close similarities in the lap-times by the leading troupe. By the second race the terrain had become very bumpy, slightly slower and more technical. A later start time on the schedule meant dipping sunshine also created viewing difficulties around some of the slopes and jumps.

Van Horebeek rode to a comfortable third position in Saturday’s qualification race and knew that a positive launch from the start gate would be essential for the Grand Prix motos on Sunday. In the first outing he drilled the YZ450FM into the leading gaggle of five and then enacted a consistent but lonely race to another third place. One half of the job was done and the Belgian put himself into firm contention at the launch of the next moto when he seized the holeshot. Circulating with Tony Cairoli and Clement Desalle ‘JVH’ kept pace with the front two but reached a point deep in the race distance when he opted for safety and to confirm the third step of the rostrum. Fifth and third in the first two rounds of 2014 Van Horebeek is building effectively into the campaign and now stands fourth in the MXGP points table.

Elsewhere DP Racing Yamaha’s David Philippaerts had a tough weekend with the high temperatures and the special specification of fuel (temporarily approved by the FIM to pass through Thai customs) creating some set-up hitches. The Italian is working diligently within his own squad in 2014 but couldn’t cure the problems to make the leaderboard. Bike it Yamaha Cosworth’s Rui Goncalves also briefly encountered a similar experience with the fuelling – as with other teams and brands – but overall the Portuguese railed well and was in better physical shape after starting the season with fever last weekend. Rui still lacks test and dialling-in time with the YZ450F but his 15th and 7th pointed to some positive signs for the races ahead.

The MXGP Yamaha crew will now freight bikes, spares and material to the other side of the world and have some time to consider results and more preparation will lie ahead. Round three and the Grand Prix of Brazil will see the championship head over to Beto Carrero, north of the popular city of Florianopolis, at the end of the month.

Jeremy Van Horebeek

“I feel really good and my speed is good. I rode my pace because I knew it would be a difficult one with the heat. I said to the guys ‘come to the podium’ before the second moto because I felt that it would be a good day. Together with the team we have been working hard and the start in the second moto was evidence of that. Clement passed me but I was there for twenty minutes and felt really good. It was really hot and I started thinking about the podium as the race went on and figured if I felt better at another GP then I might be able to live with the boys more. I think we have done a great job getting this bike working for me. I’m really happy.”

David Philippaerts
“My team is working really hard and we did everything we could to be in the best shape this weekend but couldn’t avoid problems with the power. I think many others had the same. We tried to solve it but without any luck. I hope we can get some more information and sort the problem for Brazil and I am sure we’ll do it.”

Rui Goncalves
“It was definitely a big improvement since last weekend. We even made a step from yesterday to today. I didn't have such a good start in the first moto but I kept steady with the lap-times. I tried to progress and break into the top ten but with two laps we had some of the same problems with the heat that many were having. I just had to roll it across the jumps and to the finish. That was a bit of a bummer because I know I could have made the top ten. In the second moto I started around twelfth and just kept going to make my way to the front. To finish seventh was good and lets say I’m happy. I’m still looking forward to working with the team because we haven’t had much riding time as you know. We are a strong group and we’ll keep on looking for improvements and we should soon be even better.”

2014 MXGP Thailand

Si Racha 09/03/2014 18 Laps

race I
1 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 34'26.300
2 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 0'14.798
3 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'31.856
4 Gautier Paulin Kawasaki FRA 0'37.008
5 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'44.884
6 Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 0'50.347
7 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 0'56.111
8 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 1'09.408
9 Xavier Boog Honda FRA 1'10.985
10 Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 1'13.856
11 Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 1'30.022
12 Steven Frossard Kawasaki FRA 1'36.228
13 Tanel Leok TM EST 1'41.030
14 Joel Roelants Honda BEL 1'45.334
15 Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 2'24.989
race II
1 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 35'05.060
2 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 0'13.336
3 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'30.809
4 Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 0'47.127
5 Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 1'00.667
6 Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 1'01.753
7 Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 1'03.518
8 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 1'07.127
9 Gautier Paulin Kawasaki FRA 1'11.149
10 Xavier Boog Honda FRA 1'22.690
11 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 1'28.405
12 Joel Roelants Honda BEL 1'42.364
13 Matiss Karro KTM LVA 1'53.370
14 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 2'16.381
15 Jake Nicholls KTM GBR -1Laps

MXGP World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 2 of 19

1. Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 92
2. Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 76
3. Gautier Paulin Kawasaki FRA 75
4. Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 72
5. Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 71
6. Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 51
7. Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 50
8. Steven Frossard Kawasaki FRA 49
9. Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 43
10. Joel Roelants Honda BEL 38
11. Davide Guarneri TM ITA 35
12. Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 34
13. Xavier Boog Honda FRA 31
14. Tommy Searle Kawasaki GBR 29
15. Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 28
16. Tanel Leok TM EST 24
17. David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 17
24. Amirezza Sabetifar Yamaha IRI 2

Circuit Length:
Crowd:
Weather:
Hot and Sunny
Last Years Winner:
Antonio Cairoli

Manufacturer Standings

09/03/2014

1 KTM 92
2 Honda 76
3 Kawasaki 75
4 Suzuki 73
5 Yamaha
6 Husqvarna 43
7 TM 42
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.