Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Australian front row for van der Mark

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

#Australian front row for van der Mark

Michael van der Mark set the second-fastest time in this afternoon’s qualifying session for tomorrow’s opening round of the 2014 World Supersport championship at Phillip Island in Australia.

The 21-year-old Dutch rider’s time was just two tenths of a second from that of world champion Kenan Sofuoglu, who will start tomorrow’s 18-lap opening race at the 4.445km Phillip Island circuit from pole position.

Van der Mark’s Pata Honda team-mate Lorenzo Zanetti set the ninth-fastest time this afternoon but crashed on his final lap, injuring the middle finger of his left hand.

The 26-year-old Italian has been taken to hospital in Melbourne for further assessment, following which a decision will be taken on the possibility of his participation in tomorrow’s race.

Michael van der Mark - P2 1m33.021s

This morning I did a race simulation and the bike felt really good and we were happy with the times. This afternoon I only had to focus on the lap time and we had some of the tyres that I like around here. I went out on an old set and did quite a good time, and when we threw in a new set I was able to improve the time from this morning. We had a red flag and then I had another tyre and I think that if we could put all the good sectors together I would be a little bit faster but I’m happy with second place and the front row. The race pace is good and I have a lot of confidence.

Lorenzo Zanetti - P9 1m34.100s

It’s very upsetting to crash and get this injury because we made some good progress after this morning. I was in P9 but looking to push for a top six grid position when I crashed at Siberia. I’m not really sure what happened or how I injured my finger but I have to go and get it checked by the doctors in Melbourne now. We will have to wait and see if I need some surgery and how it is tomorrow before I can say I will definitely race.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

Unfortunately Lorenzo crashed on his very last lap in an effort to improve his grid position. He has a nasty injury to his finger and we’re not sure if he can race tomorrow. It’s really unfortunate for him and his crew but we will have to wait for more information on that. Michael was second today and tried hard to overhaul Kenan Sofuoglu on pole position but didn’t quite succeed in the end. But we’re very happy with second place and he should be in the fight for the podium tomorrow. Michael has been on fire here and we’re excited to see what he can do in the race.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.