Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Olson Stars At FX While Curtain Takes Formula Oz Crown

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

#Olson Stars At FX While Curtain Takes Formula Oz Crown

@Yamaha Racing with Ipone's Rick Olson hit top form at Sydney's Motorpsort Park as he contested the weekends round of the 2013 FX Australasian Superbike championship.

Competing on his Yamaha R6, Olson took to the competition with no mercy and won all three races contested over the weekend, claiming the maximum 75 points on offer. Olson and fellow Yamaha racer Cru Halliday turned it on for the crowd with some close and spirited racing that had fans on the fence lines and the pair went at it each and every lap.

The huge points haul now sees Olson 44 points clear at the top of the table in the FX600cc class and with one round remaining he needs nothing more than smooth and consistent rides at the final round to secure that championship win.

In the premier FX Superbike category, Olson was also out to make every post a winner and he put his R1 up the front all weekend. The Superbikes competed in a double header weekend, with both the three races on Saturday and the three on Sunday all combining for championship points in what was the final round of the Superbike class.

Olson won the round on Saturday with his 2-3-1 finishes, his first round win in this class for the 2013 season. With confidence high he was out to replicate his previous day performance. He took 4-1-2 results on Sunday which landed him in equal first for the round with Broc Parkes, but second overall on count back.

"It was a much better weekend from me and I was in the battle every race. I raced well and didn't make any mistakes or falls which has let me down in the past so it was good to put together a full weekend's racing.

"The 600cc is looking good, I just need to continue what I have been doing and finish the last round out strongly while the Superbike was nice to get some good results over the weekend and make the last rounds my best," Olson stated.

Kevin Curtain put the Formula Oz championship to bed after a dominant weekend on his thundering R1. Curtain won every race in that class over the weekend and now has a 98 point lead with only one round and 75 points on offer.

He was right on the thick of the action in the Superbike class as all three YRT riders went bar to bar in the opening exchanges. A fall during the opening race on Saturday put paid to any realistic chance of snaring the championship win for Curtain, but he rebounded strongly over the rest of the weekend to finish the championship in second place.

"With all three riders battling in the Superbikes, there was some tense moments from us in the pits," said YRT manager John Redding. "It's not always fun watching our riders battle on the track as a mistake can be costly to all of them. But to their credit, they all raced professionally and put on a great show.

"Rick is looking good for the FX600cc championship but it was more pleasing to see him put a big weekend of racing together and race with maturity. Kev had a fall which damaged his chances but he is a fighter and he took the Formula Oz win on a very successful weekend for YRT."

Olson will look to wrap up the FX600cc division at the final round of the FX Superbike Championship in November, again at Sydney's Motorsport Park.

FX Australasian Superbike Championship - Rounds Five (Saturday)
Superbikes
1st Rick Olson - 67 (YRT with Ipone)
2nd Broc Parkes - 65 (YRT with Yamalube)
3rd Matthew Walters - 58

Round Six (Sunday)
1st Broc Parkes - 65 (YRT with Yamalube)
2nd Rick Olson - 65 (YRT with Ipone)
3rd Kevin Curtain - 60 (YRT with Ipone)

FX 600cc
1st Rick Olson - 75 (YRT with Ipone)
2nd Cru Halliday - 66 (YRT with Yamalube)
3rd Callum Spriggs - 58

Formula Oz
1st Kevin Curtain (YRT with Ipone)
2nd Matthew Harding
3rd Michael McMillan

Championship Standings- Final
Superbikes
1st Broc Parkes - 393 (YRT with Yamalube)
2nd Kevin Curtain - 346 (YRT with Ipone)
3rd Rick Olson - 340 (YRT with Ipone)

FX 600cc - One round remaining
1st Rick Olson - 344 (YRT with Ipone)
2nd Cru Halliday - 300 (YRT with Yamalube)
3rd Callum Spriggs - 245

Formula Oz - One round remaining
1st Kevin Curtain - 334 (2013 Winner)
2nd Michael McMillan
3rd Brett Kitchin - 209
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.