Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

JACOBSEN TAKES DEBUT BSB PODIUM AT ASSEN

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

#JACOBSEN TAKES DEBUT BSB PODIUM AT #ASSEN

Team Suzuki Press Office - September 24.

British Superbike rookie PJ Jacobsen enjoyed his first BSB podium in Sunday's second race at Assen in the Netherlands aboard his Tyco Suzuki GSX-R1000 - posting a fine second place.

In race one the young American took a battling seventh place after having to start from row six in eighteenth position as team-mate Josh Brookes had a mixed day at the Dutch round of the British series, crashing out of third place in race two after finishing fourth in race one. Race two was full of drama with Brookes being joined on the DNF list by Nori Haga, Tommy Bridewell and Shane Byrne. Race two winner Alex Lowes was later excluded from the results after an on-track incident with Byrne which saw Byrne crash out.

Taylor Mackenzie came back from an early retirement in the opening British Supersport race on Saturday with an impressive display in Sunday's 15-lap encounter. The young Scottish rider fought through from 13th place on the grid to take ninth place with his fastest lap just two-tenths slower than the fastest lap of the race. He had taken fifth place in qualifying but wasn't able to capitalise as a clutch problem forced him to retire from race one.

PJ Jacobsen:

"After a tough start to the weekend it's great to get my first British Superbike podium with the Tyco Suzuki guys. That's two years in a row that I've been on the podium here at Assen with Tyco Suzuki, so a big thanks to the whole team for the effort, as the weekend was not without its difficulties. We go to Silverstone next which I also enjoying riding so I'm leaving the Netherlands in a good frame of mind. Thank you to all the team for making dreams come true."

Josh Brookes:

"It certainly wasn't an ideal weekend for me, but with Alex getting excluded from the race two results we're still in the championship hunt. The crash in race two was just down to me trying as hard as I could to gain maximum points and I just over-rode slightly. That's the nature of the Showdown; we all want to win and I'm sure it was great viewing for the fans but the focus is now on Silverstone where we need to be winning races if we're to go to Brands with a chance of winning this championship."

Taylor Mackenzie:

"Yeah I put the disappointment of Saturday behind me and enjoyed fighting through the pack in Sunday's race. I was pleased to be able to get past some more experienced riders and gap them fairly comfortably and my lap times were pretty consistent. We just need to be getting away that little bit better, but Saturday's race didn't help as starting from 13th on the grid is never easy. I'll be looking to qualifying in that top six again at Silverstone, which will hopefully give me an opportunity to race with the front guys at the final four races this season."

Philip Neill - Team Manager:

"I have to congratulate PJ on his superb podium finish. He has worked hard all year to get comfortable on the Superbike having switched classes and there has been a lot to take in. He was impressive all weekend at Assen and showed great strength of character to overcome the disappointment he suffered in qualifying to take his first ever BSB podium. It also shows the strength of the GSX-R1000 package at a GP circuit like Assen.

"At just 20 years of age I'm sure he must be one of the youngest ever to stand on a BSB race podium - maybe the youngest. The second race was full of drama and Josh had a great chance to close the gap down at the top of the table, but what ensued with the exclusion of Alex Lowes has thrown us a lifeline and Josh is still in with a fighting chance. For whatever reason Josh seems to have lost a little bit of momentum in the last couple of rounds, so that's something we need to address before Silverstone."

British Superbike Championship, Assen, race two result:

1 James Ellison (Milwaukee Yamaha) +1.542s
2 PJ Jacobsen (Tyco Suzuki) +10.825s
3 Ryuichi Kiyonari (Samsung Honda) +14.231s
4 Jon Kirkham (Buildbase BMW) +15.613s
5 James Westmoreland (Buildbase BMW) +20.707s
6 Chris Walker (Quattro Plant Bournemouth Kawasaki) +25.898s
7 Peter Hickman (Lloyds British GBmoto Honda) +25.985s
8 Danny de Boer (Bathams Honda) +27.544s
9 Dan Linfoot (Lloyds British GBmoto Honda) +27.565s
10 Barry Burrell (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) +27.565s

British Superbike Championship Standings (after Assen):

1 Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 559
2 Alex Lowes (Samsung Honda) 558
3 James Ellison (Milwaukee Yamaha) 538
4 Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) 535
5 Ryuichi Kiyonari (Samsung Honda) 522
6 James Westmoreland (Buildbase BMW) 519
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.