Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Rea and Haslam on pace in Germany

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Rea and #Haslam on pace in #Germany

Returning after a welcome summer break, Jonathan Rea and Leon Haslam set a good pace on the opening day of the tenth round World Superbike championship event at the #Nürburgring in Germany today.

The Pata Honda riders finished this afternoon’s first qualifying session in fifth and eighth places respectively, but in close contention with Chaz Davies’s provisional pole position time of 1m55.034s.

After making a mistake that left him 0.6s adrift in the first sector, 26-year-old Rea, ended his best lap just 0.4s off Davies’s time, while his Pata Honda team-mate Haslam, was just two tenths further adrift.

Both riders are confident of further improvement in tomorrow morning’s second qualifying session, followed by Superpole in the afternoon, as long as forecast showers stay away from the Nürburgring.

Jonathan Rea – P5 1m55.434s

I made a bit of a mistake in turn one on my fastest lap after we’d fitted some new tyres, but I concentrated on trying to do a long run this afternoon to try and get some rhythm. We made some positive changes and some steps in the right direction but I’m struggling a bit with corner entry. We just need to smooth out the feeling from the rear and then I know the time will come more easily because I’ll be able to pinpoint the line more accurately. For day one I’m quite satisfied, to be honest. It’s clear we need to find some pace but it’s not so worrying because we know where to find it.

Leon Haslam – P8 1m55.683s

We had a few issues getting dialled in this morning, mostly around the electronics, but we did the whole session on a hard tyre and we weren’t that far away – about a second off on that tyre, which I was pretty happy with. We went that second faster on the old tyre this afternoon but, when we put in a softer tyre, we had the same problem as we’ve had before and couldn’t go any faster. On the twelfth lap with that tyre though, I put in my fastest lap for P8. In general, we’re not too far away on the race tyre, but Johnny and I are both losing 0.5s in the first sector and I’m only 0.6s off at the end of the lap. So, we’re not a million miles away but we definitely need to improve sector one!

Pieter Breddels – technical co-ordinator

Leon is really starting to get back the strength in his leg and this morning he showed immediately that he can ride the bike better. In the end he was eighth, but it’s really close. There are still some settings to improve but it was a good day for him. Jonathan had a slightly slow start this morning but showed consistent pace and rhythm this afternoon and was fifth in the end. We need to make another step with both guys tomorrow, but we are pretty happy with our progress so far.

2013 World Superbike championship, round 10 – Nürburgring, Germany

First qualifying results:

1 Chaz Davies (GBR) BMW 1m55.034s

2 Tom Sykes (GBR) Kawasaki 1m55.051s

3 Michel Fabrizio (ITA) Aprilia 1m55.142s

4 Leon Camier (GBR) Suzuki 1m55.342s

5 Jonathan Rea (GBR) Pata Honda 1m55.434s

6 Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Aprilia 1m55.609s

7 Loris Baz (FRA) Kawasaki 1m55.648s

8 Leon Haslam (GBR) Pata Honda 1m55.683s
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.