Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Dungey Wins Budds Creek National: Musquin third in 250s

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Dungey Wins #Budds Creek National: #Musquin third in 250s

Red Bull KTM Factory rider Ryan Dungey captured his second 450 class overall victory of the season in Round Five of the US Pro Motocross Championship Series at the Budds Creek Raceway, Mechanicsville on Saturday. To complete a good night for the factory team, teammate Marvin Musquin followed his last two wins up with a podium third.

Dungey got a good start in moto one moving into second place on the opening lap. Racing together rival Ryan Villopoto he looked strong in the early stage but them he lost his footing and crashed hard in the sand rollers when trying to make a pass on Villopoto for the lead. Although winded he quickly remounted and slipped back into second place and took that position to the flag.

He then rode a near flawless race in the second 450 class moto. Mike Alessi nabbed the holeshot but Dungey quickly made his way around him to take over the lead on the opening lap. Putting his head down and riding 17 solid laps, Dungey lead every lap of the race on his way to the moto win. His 2-1 results secured him his second overall victory of the season.

“I’m really happy with the way today went,” stated Dungey. “The team and I put in a lot of work on our weekend off from racing testing at my home on Florida. I felt we made great progress and that showed in our result today. I feel like Ryan (Villopoto) and I have really stepped it up to a new level this year and we are both pushing each other to ride at our limits. It definitely makes the racing exciting and keeps me on my toes and I’m enjoying that this year.”

Musquin third, Roczen fourth in 250s
It was also a solid weekend for the team’s two 250 class riders with Marvin Musquin finished round five in third while teammate Ken Roczen rounded the weekend out in fourth place.

It was Musquin who got a great start by grabbing the holeshot in the opening moto and he moved into the lead early in the race while his Germany teammate Roczen found himself stranded mid pack and rounded the opening lap in tenth place. However, while Musquin locked in the lead Roczen made fast work of those in front of him and by lap five had moved into second spot. Musquin maintained his lead until Blake Baggett made a late charge and maneuvered his away past both Roczen and Musquin with three laps to go. The KTM duo engaged in several battles with each other during the closing stages of the race but it was Musquin who held onto finish the moto in second position with Roczen close behind in third.

But then in moto two, both Roczen and Musquin got midpack starts and were seventh and eighth in the early stages of the moto. A hard charging Eli Tomac slipped by the pair on laps 4-5 before going on to get by moto frontrunners Blake Baggett, Darryn Durham, Kyle Cunnigham, Col Seely and Wil Hahn for the win. In the later stages Musquin reeled in and got by both Roczen and Hahn only to make a mistake shortly after and hand the positions back. In the end Musquin’s 2-7 (36 points) moto results beat out Roczen’s 3-6 (35 points) finishes for third overall.

“I like winning but I’m fine with third overall today,” remarked Musquin. “The motocross series is a long season and my goal is to consistently be among the top guys each week. I feel good and my confidence is high so I want to just keep doing what I’m doing and close up the championship points gap on Ken and Eli.”

Next Event: Southwick, MA – June 29, 2013

Overall Results 450 MX Class –
1. Ryan Dungey, KTM 2-1
2. Ryan Villopoto 1-2
3. Trey Canard 6-4
4. Malcolm Stewart 9-3
5. Justin Barcia 4-8
6. Justin Brayton 7-7
7. Broc Tickle 10-5
8. Jake Weimer 8-10
9. Phil Nicoletti 15-6
10. Andrew Short, KTM 12-9

Overall Point Standings –
1. Ryan Villopoto 240
2. Ryan Dungey 224
3. Justin Barcia 179
4. Trey Canard 153
5. Mike Alessi 136
6. James Stewart 122
7. Tyla Rattray 95
8. Ryan Sipes 95
9. Broc Tickle 94
10. Jake Weimer 93
11. Malcolm Stewart 87
12. Andrew Short, KTM 83

Overall Results 250 MX Class –
1. Blake Baggett 1-2
2. Eli Tomac 5-1
3. Marvin Musquin, KTM 2-7
4. Ken Roczen, KTM 3-6
5. Wil Hahn 6-5
6. Jason Anderson 4-11
7. Darryn Durham 13-3
8. Kyle Cunningham 7-9
9. Zach Osborne 17-4
10. Justin Hill 10-10
11. Jeremy Martin 9-12
12. Joey Savatgy, KTM 8-15

Overall Point Standings –
1. Ken Roczen, KTM 220
2. Eli Tomac 211
3. Marvin Musquin, KTM 199
4. Blake Baggett 188
5. Zach Osborne 149
6. Jason Anderson 128
7. Jeremy Martin 109
8. Kyle Cunningham 107
9. Justin Bogle 104
10. Cooper Webb 99
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.