Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Top ten for Musquin at Indianapolis; crash costs Roczen Lite

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Top ten for #Musquin at #Indianapolis; crash costs #Roczen Lites lead

Red Bull KTM rider Marvin Musquin pulled off another top 10 position in his final Supercross race on the 350 SX-F for the season when he finished seventh in Indianapolis on Saturday night. Meanwhile factory teammate Ken Roczen crashed out while in the lead of a restarted SX Lites race and eventually finished in nineteenth place.

After easily qualifying for the main event with a sixth position in the heat, Musquin had a great start at the great jump off the gate to round the first corner in third place. He held the position for a few corners before dropping to fourth while holding off championship leader Ryan Villopoto on the bigger 450 machine. After a small mistake put his back at seventh he managed to find his rhythm and rode a strong race throughout the remaining laps to be seventh at the flag for another very commendable effort in the big bike class.

Marvin Musquin: “I am very happy with the past three weekends. I had a lot of fun riding the 350 in the Supercross class and am glad I was able to keep racing during the time off from the West Lites SX Series. I will now put in a few more weeks of riding on my 250 to be ready to go for the next West round.”

Musquin’s teammate, Ryan Dungey, missed his second race of the season as he continues to recover from his collarbone surgery but he still holds onto second place in the series point standings.

Roczen experiences the best and the worst
It was a night of mixed fortunes for Musquin’s teammate Ken Roczen of Germany who experienced the best and worst night of his season. He led the AMA Supercross Lites main event at Lucas Oil Stadium but the race was red flagged and the young German rider then crashed while in the lead in the restarted race, which cost him an impressive victory.

Roczen had a great qualifying time in the morning practice sessions and came home second in the heat. Then in the main event, he claimed the holeshot, sat in second behind Blake Baggett before making the pass to go on to build a substantial 1.3 seconds advantage by the fifth lap of the race. Then AMA officials put out the red flag instructing all riders to return to the start line.

The official AMA rulebook states that if the race is red flagged after 3 laps then the riders will start in a staggered fashion based on the running order they crossed the finish line in on the lap prior to the red flag. Since Roczen was in the lead at the time, he was able to start in the front of the staggered line. Although the AMA rule for the staggered start has been in place for quite some time it is the first time in professional racing history that they have used it.

At the wave of the green flag, Roczen launched off the line and quickly pulled out front to gain back the lead he had won in the first part of the race. Two laps into the restart, he made a small mistake coming around a corner and crashed. He had to return to the pits for a quick fix of his damaged bike and reentered the race over a lap down. Despite turning fast lap times throughout the duration of the race he finished back at nineteenth.

Ken Roczen: “I’m not sure what to say about tonight. It was a crazy night. I haven’t crashed in a main event all season and I am really bummed that my only main event crash came while I was leading. I know I am riding well right now so I will just regroup and hope to get my first season win in Toronto.”

Next Race: Toronto Supercross – March 24, 2012

Overall Results SX Class

1, Ryan Villopoto

2, Justin Brayton

3, Davi Millsaps

4, Brett Metcalfe

5, Cole Seely

7, Marvin Musquin – KTM

Overall Point Standings SX Class

1, Ryan Villopoto – 246

2, Ryan Dungey KTM – 192

3, James Stewart – 177

Overall Results SX Lites Class

1, Blake Wharton

2, Darryn Durham

3, Justin Barcia

4, Blake Baggett

5, Jake Canada

Other KTM

9, Les Smith – KTM

13, Shane Sewell – KTM

14, PJ Larsen – KTM

17, Kelly Smith – KTM

19, Ken Roczen – KTM

Overall Point Standings SX Lites Class

1, Justin Barcia – 120

2, Darryn Durham – 98

3 Blake Wharton – 97

4, Blake Baggett – 80

5, Ken Roczen – 80
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.