Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Ryan Dungey gives KTM first ever AMA SX win: Musquin second

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ryan #Dungey gives #KTM first ever #AMA SX win: Musquin second in SX Lites

Red Bull/KTM Factory riders Ryan Dungey and Marvin Musquin added a liberal dash of KTM orange to the Supercross and SX Lites categories of Round 2 of the AMA competition when Dungey won the SX class and Musquin was second in SX Lites. It was KTM’s first SX victory since the company committed to pursue a top place in the US competition to add to its honors in the World Championships.

Dungey, third in Round 1 now tops the points table and starts with the red plate in Round 3. Musquin is equal third in SX Lites points, trailing the leader by just two points.

Not only did Dungey take the win, he nailed the holeshot and led every lap of the twenty lap main event. His first career win on his KTM 450 machine also marks the first ever for the KTM brand in the SX class. Dungey qualified third fastest from practice and earned a fourth place finish in his heat to transfer to the main. Once he lined up on that gate, everything went his way.

"! was definitely motivated by my teammate tonight,” Dungey said on the podium. “I saw Marvin (Musquin) got second in the Lites main and knew I had to step up my game to match him and do well for our team. This win feels so incredible. The whole crew at KTM has been behind me 100% since I joined them in October and it is amazing to earn this win together!”

Red Bull/KTM Factory Team Manager Roger DeCoster, commented, “It is not just our team in the US but the whole crew in Austria at our factory that have helped us get here. It’s amazing to get a podium in only our second race of the season. It feels really good that we were able to deliver for the people that backed us. We have proved ourselves with a win and intend to keep progressing.”

It was naturally also a great night for Dungey’s teammate, 2 x MX2 World Champion Marvin Musquin of France who picked up his first career SX Lites podium when he finished second overall in Round 2 of the West Supercross Lites Series. Plagued with injury throughout the season in 2011, Musquin has now shown he is a serious player in the West Coast Lites category.

The French rider finished fifth place in his heat race to easily transfer to the main event. When the gate dropped for the Lites main event Musquin rocketed off the line to be second in the first corner. He tried to block pass holeshot winner Tyla Rattray to take the lead on the second lap but wasn’t able to make it stick. On the third corner he moved around Rattray but the pass slowed him up and allowed Wilson to overtake for the lead. Musquin crossed the line in second after 15 laps with Dean Wilson taking the eventual win.

“It feels awesome!” Musquin said after the race. “I have been dreaming of this moment since I was a young kid. This is honestly a dream come true.”

After two rounds Musquin is tied for third place in points with Dean Wilson. The next round of the series is in Los Angeles, CA on January 21, 2012.

Overall Results Supercross Class
1, Ryan Dungey – KTM

2, Jake Weimer

3, Ryan Villopoto

4, Kevin Windham

5, Chad Reed

Overall Series Points Supercross Class

1, Ryan Dungey – 45

2, Ryan Villopoto – 45

3, Jake Weimer – 38

Overall Results Supercross Lites Class

1, Dean Wilson

2, Marvin Musquin – KTM

3, Tyla Rattray

4, Eli Tomac

5, Cole Seely

Overall Results Supercross Lites Point Standings:

1, Tyla Rattray – 42

2, Cole Seely – 41

3, Dean Wilson – 40

4, Marvin Musquin – 40
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.