Daytona 675 v/s Yamaha YZF-R6 2006

Which one would you order for summer of 2006?

Triumph Daytona 675
77%
Yamaha YZF-R6 2006
15%
Kawasaki ZX-6R 2006
8%
Suzuki GSX-R600
No votes

Total votes: 13

keyur_mithawala
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Daytona 675 v/s Yamaha YZF-R6 2006

#1 Unread post by keyur_mithawala »

So these bikes have been announced at the Paris show, but no one has seen them in flesh. I am planning to buy one of these in February/March of 2006, so unfortunately I have to resort to speculation.

What do you guys think? I am pasting the detailed specs at the end of this message, but here are the highlights:

R6:
- 17,500 red-line
- Slipper Clutch
- Stubby exhaust
- Fly-by-wire

675:
- 3 Cylinder (more torque)
- Cheaper than R6 by a hair
- A gentleman's sportbike?

The other models I am considering are: ZX-6R and GSX-R600. (Basically all middle-weight bikes with underseat exhaust or stubby exhaust)

Thanks all!

R6 Specs:
=========

MSRP* $9,499 (50th Anniversary Yellow/Black) Available from January 2006
$9,299 (Raven) Available from January 2006
$9,199 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from January 2006

Engine
Type 600cc, Liquid cooled, 4-stroke, forward inclined inline 4 cylinder, DOHC, 16-titanium valves

Bore x Stroke 67.0 x 42.5mm

Compression Ratio 12.8:1

Carburetion Fuel injection w/ YCCT

Ignition TCI

Transmission 6-speed w/multi-plate clutch

Final Drive #525 O-ring chain

Chassis
Suspension/Front 41mm inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, seperate high & low-speed compression damping, rebound damping; 4.7" travel

Suspension/Rear Single shock w/adjustable preload, seperate high & low-speed compression damping, rebound damping; 4.7" travel

Brakes/Front Dual 310mm floating discs w/radial mount, forged 4-piston calipers

Brakes/Rear 220mm disc w/ single-piston caliper

Tires/Front 120/70-ZR17

Tires/Rear 180/55-ZR17

Dimensions
Length 80.3"

Width 27.6"

Height 43.3"

Seat Height 33.5"

Wheelbase 54.3"

Rake (Caster Angle) 24°

Trail 3.8"

Fuel Capacity 4.6 gallons

Oil Capacity (with oil filter change) 3.59 qts.

Dry Weight 357 lbs.

Other
Main Jet Not Applicable

Main Air Jet Not Applicable

Jet Needle Not Applicable

Needle Jet Not Applicable

Pilot Air Jet 1 Not Applicable

Pilot Outlet Not Applicable

Pilot Jet Not Applicable

Primary Reduction Ratio 85/41 (2.0731)

Secondary Reduction Ratio 45/16 (2.8125)

Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 31/12 (2.583)

Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 32/16 (2.000)

Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 30/18 (1.667)

Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 26/18 (1.444)

Gear Ratio - 5th Gear 27/21 (1.286)

Gear Ratio - 6th Gear 23/20 (1.150)

Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)

Daytona 675 Specs:
==================

Price: $8,999
Engine Type Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
Capacity 675cc
Bore/Stroke 74.0 x 52.3mm
Compression Ratio 12.65:1
Fuel System Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with forced air induction
Ignition Digital - inductive type - via electronic engine management system
Primary Drive Gear
Final Drive O ring chain
Clutch Wet, multi-plate
Gearbox 6-speed, close ratio
Frame Aluminium beam twin spar
Swingarm Braced, twin-sided, aluminium alloy with adjustable pivot position
Wheels Front Alloy 5-spoke, 17 x 3.5in
Rear Alloy 5-spoke, 17 x 5.5in
Tyres Front 120/70 ZR 17
Rear 180/55 ZR 17
Suspension Front 41mm USD forks with adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping
Rear Monoshock with piggy back reservoir adjustable for preload, rebound and compression damping
Brakes Front Twin 308mm floating discs, 4 piston radial calipers with radial master cylinder
Rear Single 220mm disc, single piston caliper
Length 2010mm (79.1in)
Width (Handlebars) 673mm (26.5in)
Height 1109mm (43.7in)
Seat Height 825mm (32.5in)
Wheelbase 1392mm (54.8in)
Rake/Trail 23.5º/86.8mm
Weight (Dry) 165kg (363lbs)
Fuel Tank Capacity 17.4 litres (4.6 gal US)
Maximum Power 125PS (123bhp) at 12,500 rpm
Maximum Torque 72Nm (53ft.lbf) at 11,750 rpm
Last edited by keyur_mithawala on Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#2 Unread post by High_Side »

Make mine a 675. It will get smoked by the others on the racetrack but if you are not racing, who flippin' cares????? It's about time someone thought about building different sportbikes than the usual 4 cylinder across aluminum frame clones. Leave the sheep to follow track times and magazine shoot-outs!

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by TechTMW »

The Trumpet's the only one with any character, but I doubt that's what you are after . :|
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

MarkyPancake
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Pure Speculation: Daytona 675 v/s Yamaha YZF-R6 2006

#4 Unread post by MarkyPancake »

keyur_mithawala wrote:The other models I am considering are: ZX-6R and GSX-R600. (Basically all middle-weight bikes with underseat exhaust or stubby exhaust)
None of the GSX-R range have underseat exhausts, but the 600 and 750 have gone to a short one a bit like the 2006 R6.

The 2006 R6 also has clip-off number plate hanger (the stock one looks awful) and rear footpegs and has a chain adjuster to allow quick wheel changes without the need to reset the chain tension. Add to that the advertised redline, slipper clutch and electronic throttle control and I think the new R6 is better suited for the track.

I have to say though, I quite like all the new 600s.

keyur_mithawala
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by keyur_mithawala »

TechBMW wrote:The Trumpet's the only one with any character, but I doubt that's what you are after . :|
With all respect to the moderator god TechBMW, what is your idea of a bike with character? I personally don't think that the Triumph is dripping with character: it looks quite stock, has non-descript color choices (I like bright yellow or bold white!) and I don't know how they have tuned their triple.

I love bikes with character, like the MT-03, but either they are too expensive (Over $10K) or they don't sell those state-side. :frusty:

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#6 Unread post by TechTMW »

Character is different for different people, obviously.

In my opinion, the Trumpet has the most character of this group you've chosen for a few reasons. The obvious difference - the bike is a British triple.

That's not what gives it its character though. That's more due to its powerband and the fact that it was built completely out of the mold for a 600cc sportbike. It's not meant for someone interested in numbers, it's meant for someone who's interested in the ride. It's also meant for someone who's interested in the machine as an individual. Meaning, it might have some points that could be viewed as flaws when compared to the cookie cutter bikes, but these flaws are what endear it to its owner. That gives the bike its character.

The bike's character has nothing to do with looks. If that's what you think, then the triumphs not for you anyway :mrgreen: I've always had good luck with Yamahas, so that would probably be my second choice of your list... Both suzuki and kawasaki have problems with consistancy lately. You can dyno two brand new gsxr600s out of the box and one will have 10 less horsepower than the other. :roll:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#7 Unread post by BuzZz »

TechBMW wrote: Character is different for different people, obviously.

I still can't say I'm deep enough to determine or define 'character' in a bike, but they all have definate 'personalities'.

I agree that the Triumph probably has the personality I would like most of the choices. A bit more relaxed yet more willing. 600 supersports are more like tweekin' meth-heads..... :laughing:

TechBMW wrote: Both suzuki and kawasaki have problems with consistancy lately. You can dyno two brand new gsxr600s out of the box and one will have 10 less horsepower than the other. :roll:
Suzuki has always had this problem to some degree or another. Some years were worse than others. They probably get better towards union contract renewal time. :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

keyur_mithawala
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by keyur_mithawala »

TechBMW wrote: Both suzuki and kawasaki have problems with consistancy lately. You can dyno two brand new gsxr600s out of the box and one will have 10 less horsepower than the other. :roll:
I will note that point. However I have to add to the discussion that Kawi 6R was the best selling bike in UK in its class and 3rd best selling overall.

So far D675 seems to lead by a wide margin. Dang, the Brit stamp will sell this bike faster than the French can sell us Evian water.

keyur_mithawala
Rookie
Rookie

Fly-by-wire any good?

#9 Unread post by keyur_mithawala »

I didn't notice that the R6 comes with a fly-by-wire throttle. What do you guys think about this feature? Anyone has any experience with these? What are the benefits of this system?

I drive Nissan Xterra which has a fly-by-wire throttle, and I find it too twitchy and non-linear. I think the regular wire is much better (for me at least) when launching from a stand-still.

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#10 Unread post by TechTMW »

keyur_mithawala wrote: So far D675 seems to lead by a wide margin. Dang, the Brit stamp will sell this bike faster than the French can sell us Evian water.
It's not the Brit stamp that we're all ga-ga over. It's the fact that a major manufacturer stepped out of the numbers game to make a bike Outside of the cookie cutter mold. You find me a japanese company with the balls to introduce a 3-cyl mid-tuned 600 instead of a four cylinder high-tuned one, and I will support that company just like I support this triumph. But it probably won't happen. Hell they're too afraid to bring the MT-01 over to NA for fear it won't sell, cuz all ppl want are fully faired crotch rockets...

As for fly by wire ... I'm a mechanic. I like machines. Electronics "pee" me off (especially when they go bad!!) However, I'd still trust Yamaha quality over the others. Unfortunately, I haven't got any saddle time with the new fly by wire bikes, so I can't tell you what they are like . :cry: