totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Honda CBR125R coming to North America rumor

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I recieved information from one of our staff (High_Side) about this rumor and I thought I'd share it with you after I dug into it for research and see how possible it was. I've checked with Honda media and this is just a rumor right now, there are no press or news releases, no media pictures of the bike or official specifications or price so I have not yet included it in the 2007 Honda Buyers Guide.

Canada Motorcycle Guide is reporting a rumor of the Honda CBR125R coming to North America for this season for $3000-3500 and that includes Joe Rocket motorcycle gear (no helmet). Take it with a grain of salt.

Here is a photo of the bike and specifications as reported in CMG:

Image curtesy of CMG

Their scoop: http://www.cmgonline.com/bikes/articles ... index.html

SPECIFICATIONS

Bike
Honda CBR125R
MSL
$TBA (expect mid 3K)
Displacement
125 cc
Engine type
2-valve, sohc single, liquid-cooled.
13.5 hp @ 10,000 rpm. top speed of around 120 km/h.
39 km/l (2.57 L/100km). Range -\+ 390 kms.
Carburetion
Fuel Injection
Final drive
Six speed, chain drive
Tires, front
80/90-17 (IRC)
Tires, rear
100/80-17 (IRC)
Brakes, front
Single 276 mm disc with 2-piston caliper
Brakes, rear
Single 220 mm disc with 1-piston caliper
Seat height
776 mm (30.5")
Wheelbase
1294 mm (50.9")
Dry weight
118.9 Kg (262 lbs) (claimed)
Colours
Red, black, white
Warranty
36 months (with roadside assistance)

What do you think? Do you think a 125cc would sell well in North America for $3-3500 with gear?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

I think it would be smarter to drop a 250cc engine into that thing as direct competition with the ex250. Right now it's basically choose between "power and aesthetics." I don't much fancy a bike with 120kmh top speed for highway trips. But I'd ride the "pee" out of it around town.

Is it carbed or FI?
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Sev wrote:I think it would be smarter to drop a 250cc engine into that thing as direct competition with the ex250. Right now it's basically choose between "power and aesthetics." I don't much fancy a bike with 120kmh top speed for highway trips. But I'd ride the "pee" out of it around town.

Is it carbed or FI?
It's FI, but I do agree with you about the 125cc engine. With a big country like North America vs. Europe where everything is close and packed in, I don't think it will do well, maybe for riding schools but for outside sales, better it's 250cc.

Honda DOES make it in a 250cc version, the CBR250RR:

a VTR 250:

Hornet 250:

You can always bump it up to 400cc too, 400c is a great sized engine.

NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#4 Unread post by VermilionX »

i don't need highway for all my regular commutes right now. i might get one for commuting instead of a scooter.

the only thing i don't like about the CBR125 is the riding position... it's more standard than sport, not like the aprilia RS125.

anyway... like sev said, it's way way way better looking than the EX250 but half the power, which is cool by me since if i want power, i gots my 750.

anyway... i hope this bike makes it to the US.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#5 Unread post by flynrider »

In the U.S. market, I don't think the CBR will stand up to the competition from the EX250. In a land where "bigger is better" and noobs tend to shy away from even a 250cc motorcycle, a 125cc machine is going to have a very tough time selling.

Personally, I'd like to have a smaller bike for city riding, but if the price point for the CBR were close to Kawasaki's little Ninja, I'd have to go with Kaw, just on the versatility aspect. The extra horses in the EX250 provide enough power to navigate freeways. I don't think the 13.5 claimed hp on the CBR would be enough to do the job.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Sev »

I don't see it doing very well in riding schools either. An ideal riding school bike doesn't have expensive plastics on it. The bike might be able to take abuse, but you'll be replacing plastic every year to keep it looking semi decent. A Honda CG125 would be a FAR better 125cc engine for a riding school (as an added bonus they're surprisingly easy to work on too).
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Seetrout
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Seetrout »

I really like tha 250 Hornet.
Great starter bike.
It's a real live four cyl too.
Familiarity breeds contempt.

2004 Honda 599

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#8 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Would it even be CA street legal?
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#9 Unread post by VermilionX »

apollofrost wrote:Would it even be CA street legal?
it's a 4 stroke. i don't see any problem.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#10 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

it's wheels are cute. the 250 would be a better idea for Honda to bring state-side.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]