SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2004 Ducati 620ie

Is there a lawyer in the house??

#1 Unread post by SuperRookie »

Hey...I have an Icon Motorhead leather jacket. It's seems to be really well constructed, has CE armor and fits very well. Additionally, I have a MotoGP textile/leather jacket (Cordura) and that jacket is pretty heavy and appears to be constructed fairly well too..But in both jackets I've found a tag sewn in that reads:

"This garment not considered to be personal protective equipment as defined within the scope of personal protective equipment (EC Directive) regulations....and has therefore not been examined or tested in accordance with those regulations. No liability will be accepted by the manufacturer or supplier of this garment arising out of the garments' non-compliance with such regulations"

Um...huh? Once more please...En Anglais

:humm:
"Not just your 'ordinary' Rookie..."

ShawnKing
Elite
Elite

Re: Is there a lawyer in the house??

#2 Unread post by ShawnKing »

SuperRookie wrote:"This garment not considered to be personal protective equipment as defined within the scope of personal protective equipment (EC Directive) regulations....and has therefore not been examined or tested in accordance with those regulations. No liability will be accepted by the manufacturer or supplier of this garment arising out of the garments' non-compliance with such regulations"

Um...huh? Once more please...En Anglais
"You might think this jacket will protect you but we haven't tested it under strict crash conditions. Therefore, if you crash, don't come running to us when our jacket doesn't protect you."

:)
Shawn King
Your Bike Life
http://www.yourbikelife.com
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A

SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by SuperRookie »

Well, if that don't blow dead bulls in the moonlight, nothing does...I have new gear...and already I feel like I need new gear, wtf?

basshole
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by basshole »

I always read labels before I buy. Afterwards it's just too damn late. You can always true to return it and find something else but if you've worn it that could be tough. BUYER BEWARE ALWAYS!
Beer. Helping ugly people get laid since 1853
2006 Suzuki C50 Silver/Gray

SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by SuperRookie »

Yah I know...makes sence...hindsight being 20/20 and all...but in my defense, the label is on inside of the jacket beneath the liner...I was like um...wtf??? Who would even know to check for some sh*t like that??

rdeviney
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by rdeviney »

SuperRookie wrote:
I have new gear...and already I feel like I need new gear...
Like most product disclaimers, it's written by lawyers in the hope of avoiding lawsuits by people suffering the natural consequence of their poor choices. I sometimes read the warnings in product documentation for the sheer entertainment value. Almost as bad is buying something new and then getting the extended warranty pitch.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#7 Unread post by flynrider »

It's not as bad as it sounds. The label is a European requirement. All it says is that the product hasn't been tested to conform with European Community regulations/directives that apply to personal protective equipment. The label is probably intended for European customers.

I wouldn't consider compliance or noncompliance with this particular EC directive to be a plus or a minus. Like many EC directives this one has problems. Chiefly, the fact that there are still no standards for many types of PPE. Typical of EU bureacracy, this single directive is intended to cover anything used to protect a person. From sunglasses to hardhats and steel-toed boots.

The jacket may not pass some nebulous "leather jacket spec", but the CE armor by definition is built to the european spec. That what the "CE" stands for.

I wouldn't take the label too seriously, even if I did live in Europe.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by SuperRookie »

flynrider wrote:It's not as bad as it sounds. The label is a European requirement. All it says is that the product hasn't been tested to conform with European Community regulations/directives that apply to personal protective equipment. The label is probably intended for European customers.

I wouldn't consider compliance or noncompliance with this particular EC directive to be a plus or a minus. Like many EC directives this one has problems. Chiefly, the fact that there are still no standards for many types of PPE. Typical of EU bureacracy, this single directive is intended to cover anything used to protect a person. From sunglasses to hardhats and steel-toed boots.

I wouldn't take the label too seriously, even if I did live in Europe.
I was just wondering...Both of my jackets fit really well...and I feel secure in them...but if I (God forbid) had a get off, I don't want to look like a bag of trash rolling down the highway... :|

2wheel
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by 2wheel »

Standard Legal Speak. If you fall and hurt yourself, don't sue us.
1999 VFR
2005 KTM 300EXC
2004 GS500F (girlfriends)
www.2wheelcentral.com
www.iboxcabinets.com

HexedWrench
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by HexedWrench »

Hmm, I have an Icon Strongarm jacket but I don't recall any such tag. I may not have looked closely enough either. I'll have to check. What's curious is that it has a St. Christopher medal/medallion sewn onto a small loop and inside its own tiny pocket in the inside left breast pocket.
Mechanically Inclined Amateur