Seats Aftermarket

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#11 Unread post by ZooTech »

I know it sounds counterintuitive, Scan, but the harder the seat the better the comfort. The stock seat from my NightHawk was packed with squishy sponge-like foam and was very soft. The Corbin seat I replaced it with felt like a piece of plastic wrapped in leather. However, with the stock seat I ended up suffering from Prostatosis, or inflammation of the prostate, and after replacing the seat it went away entirely. When I bought my Mean Streak it reappeared until I bought my Mustang seat, which is also a bit more firm than stock. An hour or two on either stock seat necessitated a long break to avoid soreness, but I was able to ride all the way to Chicago and back with my Corbin and to North Carolina and back with my Mustang and never had an issue.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
Elite
Elite

#12 Unread post by J.R. Bob Dobbs »

Yes, the Corbin I put on my Nighthawk is a LOT firmer than stock. However it's shaped to match the butt, rather than the stock "flat" seat that relys on soft foam to bend to match your shape.

Well, I've got about 600mi on my Corbin now, and voila, it feels great. I mentioned when I first got it (about two weeks ago) that it made me sore within an hour, I no longer have any discomfort when riding. So either it's adapted to me, or I've adapted to it.

I paid about $225 for mine, not $600 as mentioned by a previous poster, perhaps they vary greatly by model, though I don't see why they should, mine's as big and contoured as any.

The leather looks terrific, but it does smell rather like a fish (?), not the usual appealing leather smell.

No complaints here, I'd post a pic but don't have the technology.

Pez D Spencer
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by Pez D Spencer »

J.R. Bob Dobbs wrote:The leather looks terrific, but it does smell rather like a fish (?), not the usual appealing leather smell.

No complaints here, I'd post a pic but don't have the technology.

Are you sure it's not just the fishy smell of your asspipe rubbing off on the seat??

Just kidding. They may condition the seat with some kind of fish oil or something.

I'm gonna be getting one of the Hollywood solo seats soon and modify it to fit a Suzuki GZ250.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#14 Unread post by Sev »

ZooTech wrote:I know it sounds counterintuitive, Scan, but the harder the seat the better the comfort. The stock seat from my NightHawk was packed with squishy sponge-like foam and was very soft. The Corbin seat I replaced it with felt like a piece of plastic wrapped in leather. However, with the stock seat I ended up suffering from Prostatosis, or inflammation of the prostate, and after replacing the seat it went away entirely. When I bought my Mean Streak it reappeared until I bought my Mustang seat, which is also a bit more firm than stock. An hour or two on either stock seat necessitated a long break to avoid soreness, but I was able to ride all the way to Chicago and back with my Corbin and to North Carolina and back with my Mustang and never had an issue.
I think that's because over time the soft stuff packs down onto the seat pan, and you're basically sitting on hard plastic.

With the harder foam of a corbin seat you're sitting on something that is shaped to provide the most contact with your "O Ring" (cupped shape) meaning your weight is spread over the most surface, and the stiffer foam keeps you from riding on the seat pan.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

MetricRider
Veteran
Veteran

#15 Unread post by MetricRider »

canuckerjay wrote:I've just ordered my Corbin Stinger for my V-Star 1100, and am waiting the 45 days until it arrives.

I spent a lot of time gathering opinions and from a ton of opinions I've ascertained that

Corbins tend to be harder than Mustangs.
Corbins do work in like a ball glove and become more comfy over time.
Both are excellent for long rides.
Mustang seats tend to seat you closer to the tank.
Corbins tend to seat you further back and lower.

Both are stellar products and I've never read any opinion on either that expressed disatisfaction.
That's exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks :D I sat on a Ace 750 with a Mustang seat and didn't like being that close to the tank, having long legs and all. I guess I'll try out the corbin, although hopefully it doesn't take ages to get one.
02 Concours
97 Vulcan 800 Classic