Traffic signal tripping device

choclabguy
Rookie
Rookie

#11 Unread post by choclabguy »

Tennessee was great, after you stopped at a red light you could legaly go thru it. with out waiting for the the light to change.

sparrow
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#12 Unread post by sparrow »

I just started using one (green light magnet) about a month ago. So far it's
worked great. Got tired of getting stuck at this one particular stop. The one
I bought cost about $15 and has a tie-wrap attached to it that I used to
strap it to the centerstand of the bike.

Personally, I would recommend it if your having problems with traffic lights.

Christina
Regular
Regular

Re: Traffic signal tripping device

#13 Unread post by Christina »

Hi Blair,
Yes, I've tested them. I've worked for the company for a couple of years now and have personally gone out with the crew in the middle of the night to test them on traffic lights around town - It was fun and very interesting, yet such simple technology. I love science!

I also have one on my S-10 pickup. There was only one light I couldn't trip with my truck. After i installed it facing down, under the body mold, in front of the drivers wheel, that light turns to green about 20 seconds after i run over the inductive loop with that wheel.
blair wrote:Anyone tried this and determined that it actually works?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... 11/s-10101

I'm skeptical.

The fact that an object is magnetized shouldn't increase its effect as a concentrator of magnetic lines of flux coming from an current loop. In fact, if it's magnetized enough it will be saturated and its ability to do so will be limited.

What it might do is, as you move into the loop, it might induce an electromotive force in the loop. But I don't know if the loops are set to detect both increases and decreases in their loop voltage, so it might not work on loops polarized the wrong way (though it might if they are standardized). And you'd have to be moving, so the changing magnetic flux from this device could create the EMF in the loop.

On the other hand, it's so close to your bike that most of its magnetic lines of flux will be concentrated in your bike's ferrous parts, leaving very little to reach down into the ground to interact with the loop.

So, from a theoretical standpoint, this thing looks like bollocks. But maybe adding an extra slug of a high-permeability material to your undercarriage lets the loop's magnetic field "see" you better. For that, this thing is awfully small, although some of the newer supermagnetic materials are pretty impressively much stronger than the old ones...

See why I need objective, empirical data? And a long ride in the sunshine followed by a cool margarita in the shade with my dog? And another girlfriend?
Christina
Don't make me wait for my ride!!
www.signalsorcerer.com

Phat_J
Veteran
Veteran

#14 Unread post by Phat_J »

you could always get a tiny strobe light and aim it at the sensor that ambulances use to change the traffic lights. I know a guy that does that when they are riding around. When it works right he doesn't even have to stop at the light.
2006 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#15 Unread post by Sev »

Return of the living thread.

This ones from '05! And to date nothing reliably works for these sorts of things. Sometimes putting it in neutral and putting down your kickstand, sometimes forwards and backwards, and sometimes you just have to run the red.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#16 Unread post by JCS »

The best luck we have had is with the local powers that be. Contact them and explain the problem. If they are doing their job they will send someone out to adjust it so it will work. We had to do this at a couple of places that were on the daily commute.

I actually stopped at on intersection where they were installing a sensor. The first guy told me that they could not be adjusted. The second guy claimed that they had to bring someone in from out of town to adjust it and it would not happen. When I talked to their boss the problem was taken care of within a day.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

BeyondThePaint
Regular
Regular

#17 Unread post by BeyondThePaint »

I'm curious, all of you who say these devices don't work, do you have one? or have you tried one?
I bought one to try, I got out of my car at a McDonalds late one night with no traffic, walked out to the turn lane, and held a signal sorcerer over the buried wire, and tripped the light. I attached it to my bike that night.
I now sell these at my shop, and believe me, if it is properly mounted and you approach the intersection correctly, it works. Just read and follow the simple instructions.
I've also placed them on my car and pick-up

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#18 Unread post by MotoF150 »

if the light don't trip all you have to do is wait for a car to come up behind you then move ur bike to the side of the road and wave that car in front of you
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#19 Unread post by ofblong »

MotoF150 wrote:if the light don't trip all you have to do is wait for a car to come up behind you then move ur bike to the side of the road and wave that car in front of you
wow youve gone up 20 posts since I last posted and 99% of it was a joke.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#20 Unread post by MotoF150 »

this will trip the light for sure if you guys could figure out how to power it, find an old microwave, take the magnatron tube out and hook it up to the bottom frame of ur bike, the only way I can think to power it is get a dc to ac converter, but it might take too much power for ur bike to handle.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750