Dissapointed in Lick's and Mac

redcoat
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Dissapointed in Lick's and Mac

#1 Unread post by redcoat »

For those of you who have seen my 50 50 Honda project in the "everything else garage", I have some dissapointing product news.

I ordered generic rubber knee pads like on old Brit bikes from from Lick's and they arrived today. $29 US, plus shipping brought them to $50 Canadian. They were the height and width described, but they didn't say they would be as thin as a slice of turkey. They are more like the sort of quality you would expect from a novelty shop. On a Honda 400 they looked painfully thin, on a bigger bike, like the crowd Lick's caters to, they would simply look pathetic. I hope something old and genuine and rugged shows up at the parts meet this weekend.

The Mac 2 into 2 exhaust system also arrived at Burnaby Kawasaki, and I went and got it, and spent the afternoon putting it on. Instructions? One hand drawn diagram on a pice of paper 3x4 inches, that was unlabled as to what anything was. Just two single walled exhaust headers joining to a "silencer" on either side. I wonder how long the exhaust headers will remain shiny, not blue, and rot free? They are so thin and lightweight. The "silencers" are thin and more reminisant of a beer can than chef boy-R-dee quality. I'm also pretty worried that there is no crossover pipe to balance the exhaust- I also understand that the Honda system uses one exhaust note to scavenge the next by way of the cross over box. Not possible with this system. Also, there is no provision for a mid way fixing point, so the whole system hangs on the little 5mm exhaust studs, and the bracket on the rear foot pegs. Very dodgy. Lastly, and sure to cause me grief, is the fact that I now have to remove the LHS silencer to remove the rear axle to get the tire out. I get lots of punctures on the demolition sites I work on- wheel comes out once a month at least on site, in the rain and mud... $412 not well spent

Which is surprising, as years ago I had a Mac 2 into 1 system that was really skookum and really pleasing to the ear, and made a good performance mod. Shame it's come to this, really.

Justin