AGV S4 Helmet review

brian12
Regular
Regular

AGV S4 Helmet review

#1 Unread post by brian12 »

I recently purchased an AGV S4 to replace my worn out HJC CS-12. Here is my review of the AGV.

Pluses

-The liner in the S4 is the most comfortable liner ive felt in a helmet. The material is velvety and very soft. The only other helmet Ive worn that is comparable in comfort is an arai signet.

-The optical clarity of the shield is the best ive seen. Even the Arais and Shoeis Ive worn didnt seem as clear as this helmet. Its a real joy riding on a nice day. The visor also opens and closes nicely and feels like it will last a long time.

-The helmet vents well with both the lower and upper vents contributing a noticeable amount of air on my face and forehead. The vent switches seem really sturdy and the lower vent has a trick switch that is inside the helmet.

- The S4s interior is fully removable and can be custom fit to your head with replacement pads.

-BSI rating instead of Snell. This is a plus in my opinion. Its also Dot.

Minuses

-The helmet strap is a little further back then I prefer. It sits partially on my neck.

-The shield on the S4 is difficult to get off and nearly impossible to get back on. It took me 15 minutes to get it back on the first time I took it off. Definetely the worst shield change mechanism Ive come across. My previous HJC CS-12 was a breeze to change the shield on.

-This is just my opinion but I find flat paint schemes unappealing. Unfortunately for me the S4 only comes in flat paint schemes. The AGV Stealth which is basically an S4 with a couple of air tunnels on top comes with much better paint schemes in my opinion. So why did I get the S4? I figured it would be quieter without the air tunnels.

-Apparently AGV has moved the manufacturing of there helmets to china. This is a definite negative in my book.

Neutral

-There is some wind noise in the S4 but its nowhere near as bad as my old HJC CS-12. With ear plugs in it is seemingly quiet.

I have to say Im very happy with my new helmet. After trying on a Miglia at a local bike shop and seeing how comfortable it was I knew I wanted an AGV. The cozy interior really sold me. Will I buy another AGV? Im not sure. I dont really like the fact that there helmets are now made in China.