Motocomm headsets

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Motocomm headsets

#1 Unread post by Shorts »

I got a pair of headsets for our two helmets for bike-to-bike using two-way radios and we tried them out yesterday. Mine worked fine. DHs all I'd get from his was "What?"..."I didn't hear you"..."Could you repeat that?"... freakin' annoying!

I heard things just fine.

What's the difference? Positioning of the speakers in the helmet.

The clarity of the PTT was excellent over the sounds of the motorcycles at idle. Even riding at under 40km-50kms hearing was fine. Of course, the helmet is much more quiet when you have helmet vents closed, but even with them open, communication is still possible. Riding at speed over 60km, gets a little tougher to hear if you are not expecting instructions (like left here..straight...let's stop...etc). Basically, you will not be having a casual conversation while at speed. But we did have a chat while at stoplights - it was nice not lifting the visor and yelling over the engine noise and helmet muffling.

The mic was excellent and had great pick up. Not much background noise. Motocomm is generous with the length of the wires. Which is great...but not really when you gotta wrangle them all. I suggest a tank bag to place the radio and extra wires in. Makes any volume adjustments easier as well.

Mounting the stuff in your helmet, just get creative and place it where you need it. I think my helmet felt warmer today because of the speaker material touching my temple/ears, I *think* it diminshed some airflow. But it was also a very hot day out.

All in all, decent buy if both parties can get their stuff mounted and positioned correctly.

Fly_Guy
Regular
Regular

#2 Unread post by Fly_Guy »

It would probably help if your husband wasn't going deaf. Seriously, the sides of my helmet do not form a tight seal, so I'm dealing with a little more windnoise from the vents. I'm tempted to try to splice in some "in the ear" type headphones for better sound. My flight helmet had cup type headphones that formed a nice tight seal over the ears, and did a better job of cutting out the background noise. I'll keep messing with it and see if I get a better result.