Light and quiet helmet?

brian12
Regular
Regular

Light and quiet helmet?

#1 Unread post by brian12 »

Looking to buy my first helmet. Im on my second helmet right now but both of them came with my bikes. Anyways here are some things Im looking for:

1. Light
2. quiet
3. comfort
4. price - I dont wanna spend more then 300 dollars
5. Id prefer BSI or ECE over Snell

Ive been to all my local bike shops and they dont have much variety. Seems out of the helmets Ive tried the Scorpion exo 400 and shoei rf-1000 fit the best. Funny thing is I tried on 4 diff rf-1000's and they all fit different. I would have bought the scorpion if didnt weigh as much as a concrete block and smelled like chocolate inside. I have an hjc cs-12 right now and its louder then hell and everyone Ive seen talk about them said there loud so Im not interested in going that way. So yeah, Im looking for some helmet recommendations.
Thanks in advance

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by mgdavis »

Is your apostrophe key broken?

Many people wear ear plugs to attenuate the noise. I don't think that you're going to fine a helmet at that price point that is going to be really quiet. I'm not sure the expensive ones are much better, for that matter.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

brian12
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by brian12 »

mgdavis wrote:Is your apostrophe key broken?

Many people wear ear plugs to attenuate the noise. I don't think that you're going to fine a helmet at that price point that is going to be really quiet. I'm not sure the expensive ones are much better, for that matter.
I already wear ear plugs because I couldnt stand not to with how loud my current helmet is. Ive heard the shoeis are quiet but Ive only tried them on and not ridden in them so I dont know. I also heard nolans are quiet but I have no way to try one on and Im reluctant to spend $350 dollars on a helmet that my not fit right.

tropicalhotdog
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#4 Unread post by tropicalhotdog »

I have a $500 Arai Corsair Rx7, which fits wonderfully and has lots of nice little features, but is damn LOUD. My cheaper HJC is frankly quieter, maybe because it lacks all those cool little features that create wind noise.

I'd say forget about the noise issue. Go for safety, fit, comfort and get a bag of Hear-os ear plugs from the drug store. And an apostrophe key. :lol:
2007 Suzuki C50T
2006 Vespa LX150
2000 Honda Rebel

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#5 Unread post by flw »

brian12 wrote:
mgdavis wrote:Is your apostrophe key broken?

I already wear ear plugs because I couldnt stand not to with how loud my current helmet is. Ive heard the shoeis are quiet but Ive only tried them on and not ridden in them so I dont know. I also heard nolans are quiet but I have no way to try one on and Im reluctant to spend $350 dollars on a helmet that my not fit right.
I don't buy helmets off the net because of the fit isssue. I go to the dealers that stock a selection of items, not just one helmet in 3 sizes. Try them on, then buy it there. Otherwise in the future when I need riding boots or something else they'll stop stocking accessories or just be gone. Support your local accessories dealer. Many dealers in my area no longer stock anything but bikes due to the internet and people trying stuff on for size only to then buy it off the net.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

I have an HJC helmet which I thought was very quiet until I recently took a ride on the highway. I would say, up to about 55/60 mph the wind doesn't sound too loud, but once you get to 75/80 mph I couldn't hear anything at all but the wind rushing by(not even my motorcycle's engine) I don't go any faster than that so I don't know how much louder it could have gotten. However, I've since bought some ear plugs for highway riding.

It's the only helmet I have though so I can't really compare with other brands.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250