HJC CL SP helmet

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

HJC CL SP helmet

#1 Unread post by Flesher »

I am thinking of replacing my current helmet with a new one. I went in thinking price was no object, but with the firm intention to evaluate the helmets based only on quality, feel, and fit. The HJC CL SP seemed to rival the $500 helmets in the important categories. Anyway what do you all think of HJC CL SPs? any of you have them, are they noisy, does the air flow well, does the visor continue to work smoothly?

I welcome all opinions and experiences. Thanks.

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by Flesher »

Well I went ahead and bought this helmet and I am very happy with it. It meets with the approval of DOT and Snell. It has a positive lock and click feel to the visor and stays shut once closed. The visor can be opened and closed with authority and does not feel flimsy. It also has a toggle switch that can be used to lock the face shield closed. I haven't noticed any difference in wind noise with it in one position or the other. However it does lock the shield if desired.

The padding is removable for easy cleaning.

This is a very quiet helmet, especially at certain angles. If you position your head in a straight ahead slightly down position it is fairly quiet, even at 75- 80 mph. But if you move your head about it can suddendly get loud as you move out of its aerodynamic sweetspot.

The vents work quite well, and the only fogging I've experienced is at the end of a rainfall on a very humid evening, but even then it was bearable. I imagine I'll get the usual fogging at stops as the weather turns cold.

The system to remove the visor works great on this helmet, and allows visor changes to be made without much anxiety.

On the con side, the helmet is a little heavier than I would have expected, especially for one with a shorter neck cut away. The visor feels only positively placed in the open, half, or closed positions, with no in-between positons feeling secure.

The vent positon on the top of the helmet can be difficult to "sense" with gloves on, i.e. not really sure if they are open or closed without making a couple of passes.

This is one of the higher end models of HJC helmets, but still much cheaper than the "high end" brands, while rivalling those brands in comfort and features.

Hope you find this useful when next shopping for a lid. Happy riding.