Never use Neverdull> without reading the can first.

Philthy McNasty
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Never use Neverdull> without reading the can first.

#1 Unread post by Philthy McNasty »

:evil: Iused"Neverdull" wadding chrome polish on a water spot on my new bikes muffler, it scrached it up. BEWARE :twisted:
Sunshine & 80 degrees!

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#2 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Is this the stuff that looks like wet cotton?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Philthy McNasty
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Philthy McNasty »

Yes, dirty cotton, & looks like it's sprinkled with pepper. Silver & black can. I think it actually may have been spelled "Nevrdull" Sorry I chunked the whole can. I should have stuck to TurtleWax chrome polish, a creme & I normally use micorfiber cloth I get at Wallyworld.
Sunshine & 80 degrees!

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#4 Unread post by storysunfolding »

:dunno:

That's weird, I've used it on a lot of bikes and never had an issue. Could there have been debris (dirt, rust particles, etc) on the pipe that caused the scratches?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Philthy McNasty
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Philthy McNasty »

Nah, (least not likely) just finished with soap, water, soft brush and leaf blower, was applying Plexus w/microfiber cloth, and noticed waterspots on exhaust pipe. opened can, tore apiece off & applied in a tiny circular motion. & I got tiny circular scratches.
Sunshine & 80 degrees!

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#6 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Umm. NevR Dull isn't for water spots, its for tarnish and oxydation, etc.
After you use the NevR Dull to dissolve the crud, you need to wipe THAT off with a soft cloth.

My guess is the "circular scratches" were just the active ingredient in the NevR Dull. It dries to a haze, like car wax.

>>>Guess you didn't read the instructions on the can, huh?

http://www.properautocare.com/nevrdull.html

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Philthy McNasty
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by Philthy McNasty »

Lion_Lady wrote:Umm. NevR Dull isn't for water spots, its for tarnish and oxydation, etc.
After you use the NevR Dull to dissolve the crud, you need to wipe THAT off with a soft cloth.

My guess is the "circular scratches" were just the active ingredient in the NevR Dull. It dries to a haze, like car wax.

>>>Guess you didn't read the instructions on the can, huh?

http://www.properautocare.com/nevrdull.html

P
:|
Duh, Sorry, I did read the instructions, & I didn't see where it specified that it was to be used only for tarnish & oxidation. BTW, what is a waterspot technically/scientifically speaking? & after a few years in the military, and 25 years in law enforcement I have used this product & similar ones on a few occasions to polish my brass.
Silly me, I understood it to be for chrome/metal polishing! Guess my dear ol dad was right, I really am a dumba**. But I feel you guessed wrong, the scratches are in the metal. And no, they didn't come from my brand new microfiber cloth. And neither would my old standby Turtle wax chrome polish buff them out,so I am fairly certain the scratches are in the chrome. Actually in all seriousness, my intentions were to help someone keep from scratching their bike. So it seems there are some who have used it to no ill effect, so they can keep on if they like. I was only sharing my experience. BTW it's nothing personal against the MFG, I recently started using their nanowax and I like it a lot. 8)
Sunshine & 80 degrees!

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#8 Unread post by Gadjet »

Philthy McNasty wrote:
Lion_Lady wrote:Umm. NevR Dull isn't for water spots, its for tarnish and oxydation, etc.
:|
Duh, Sorry, I did read the instructions, & I didn't see where it specified that it was to be used only for tarnish & oxidation. BTW, what is a waterspot technically/scientifically speaking?
a waterspot is a mineral deposit. it's what's left behind after the actual water in the drop has evaporated. Best way to get rid of them is to dry the surface with a chamois after you wash the bike, not a blast of air.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#9 Unread post by flw »

The cotton stuff I've uded for cleaning old collectors coins.

I use just plain window cleaner on my pipes.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#10 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

My apologies... :oops:

What it would seem happened is that those "pepper flakes" in the tin you bought were some sort of contaminant that should NOT have been in the NevrDull in the first place.

I grew up using NevrDull, and I don't remember there being anything but the slightly oily cottony stuff in the can.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul