Septimus
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F800ST

Engine Bars & Motopak

#1 Unread post by Septimus »

Two highly unrelated accessories I'm looking at that I'm curious if anyone here has experience with. Going on an '04 Ninja 500:

Rev Performance Engine Bars (about $150): Keep that 'new' look even after I send the bike on a horizontal boogie down the Jersey turnpike:

http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/engine_bars.htm

Motopak saddlebag & tail bag (I typed that as "saddlebars and tailbag" first -- Can't even think what "saddle bars" would be)

http://www.motopakluggage.com/gts60.html -- they have one size larger but it seems like that would be pushing one's luck on a Ninja.

And the tail bag:

http://www.motopakluggage.com/gttaile.html

Or, alternatively, a tank bag:

http://www.motopakluggage.com/gtx20.html

Are there any advantages or disadvantages performance wise to a tail bag v. a tank bag? I prefer having stuff behind me that sitting hunched over a big 'ol bag strapped to my tank, but then I've been riding for a grand total of five minutes so my own opinion is the first one to be discounted.

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by Veda »

You sure those engine guards are going to fit on a fully faired bike?

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#3 Unread post by flw »

Most engine bars only protect part of the engine by design, not the body.

Highway or crash bars, only as a bi-product, will protect more of the body but is still designed to protect your legs first.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by Septimus »

They do make some that will fit the Ninja 500, yes.

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by JCS »

I have the bigger Motopak 90 saddlebags and the GT Roll bag(or whatever they call their bigger roll bag). I am not impressed with this product at all except for the low pricing. They have some good ideas but the execution lacks in the details. The quality of materials and design leave a little to be desired. The mounting system is also not what it should be.

Check out the Cortech Tri-Bag saddlebags and tail (roll) bag. We have this on my wife's bike. The materials and workmanship are better. The mounting system is much easier and more versatile than the Motopak stuff.

The saddlebags are smaller with the Cortech.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Septimus »

20 litres for saddlebags probably won't hold what I need them to hold. The tail bag and tank bags look good though.

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Septimus »

Just out of curiosity -- how waterproof are soft bags?

I don't plan on riding in downpours (and probably not any significant amount of rain for a while) but I'd like it to be an option. Does this eliminate soft luggage entirely?

Some of the soft bags seem to indicate that they're waterproof, but I wonder how true that is.

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#8 Unread post by Nalian »

I had the motopak bags out in an all day storm on my trip a month or so ago. Kept everything inside dry all day.

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by Septimus »

Ended up going with the Motopak just because I can't beat the price. Off of Ebay (new), got a tank bank, pair of saddlebags (GTS-60) and tail bag all for about $200.