I know I'm fat, but COME ON!!

beardking
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

I know I'm fat, but COME ON!!

#1 Unread post by beardking »

Yeah, I'm fat. I'm working on that, but seriously, do the manufacturers think that fat guys don't need good riding jackets? I were a size 3x shirt and coat (cold weather type, have no clue about suit coats). So, I go looking around, window shopping kind of stuff today and I'm looking at riding jackets. I pick up a 3x. Weighs about half as much as I do (mesh, even) and I can barely get both arms into it, don't EVEN think about zipping it. So, I figure they run a bit small, so I try the biggest I find, 5X, in leather. This weighs a freaking metric ton and fits worse than the first.

I can't be the only fat guy out here that considers riding jackets a good idea. Anyone have any suggestions on what brands to look for? Oh, and I live in the Dallas, TX area, so something that won't make me sweat more than a prostitute in church would be nice.

(thanks for letting me vent and for any help you may be able to provide)
1999 Nighthawk 750

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Shorts »

beardking, welcome to the forum. Finding just the right gear can be tricky, for everyone really. But I understand your frustrations in the process.

The only real input I have here is that a good quality leather jacket will be heavy. If it isn't, it's probably not quality enough to offer proper protection. My huband's Fox Creek leather jacket is around 10lbs, mine is about 6lbs. (Oh, Fox creek leather will do custom jackets). They are pricey but you get what you pay for.

In Texas, I imagine a vented combo jacket of some kind would be a good compromise. I know, its hot and wearing gear in the heat isn't fun. But your skin, your decision.

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#3 Unread post by flw »

All real leather coats are going to be very heavy. The thicker the leather and any additional safety padding will make it even heavier. Before I got back into bikes, I forgot how heavy leather coats are and still am every time I get it off the hanger.

At over 40 years old and over 200 lbs myself, I sweat like pig when in city traffic at 80 plus degrees. So when hot, I'll pop the visor (I wear glasses) in the city to give me some relief when there is no wind to help, as well as only half zip my leather jacket.

Looking at the pavement on a hot day in town and then feeling the protection I'm wearing gives me a reassuring feeling. Like some other safety devices they may come with a price in comfort but with any crash being potentially deadly, I'll do most anything to help alter the odds for the non-lethal crash.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

beardking
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by beardking »

I don't mind dealing with the weight (although, lighter would be nicer). The main problem I'm having so far is finding something that will encase me. ;-)
1999 Nighthawk 750

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#5 Unread post by flw »

I saw your on a Nighthawk but have you looked at the Harley line? They do have a large section in general and I would think have something in your size. Now if you can get a low profile Harley Jacket, it maybe worth it compared to a custom leather jacket.

If you have some small shop that is just a accessories store, if they can't do it, they may know of a local person that does this on the side. Then atleast you have a price comparision of custom vs low profile Harley.

Just a few thoughts
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

big_ry_ry
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha VStar 1100 classic

#6 Unread post by big_ry_ry »

Jaminleater.com they do custom jackets for a good price, I have one they are nice. Call them they are great to work with, they even have big and tall, real big and tall. Check them out

Damian
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1994/Honda/Magna

#7 Unread post by Damian »

Have someone help measure you. Chest, belly, and arm measurements will give you an idea about what size you should be looking for. There is a CycleGear in FW where you should be able to at least find some jackets that come close to fitting. Then armed with your measurements and CycleGear experience, you should be able to shop online to find some good deals.

I bought a Teknic Lightning leather jacket on eBay. It ended up being a little small, but the seller did exchanges. I sent it back and he sent me a larger one (54) that fit like a glove. I'll go ahead and recommend that seller, he/they were really good.

That jacket looks pretty decent on my large, too. It is thick and hot. I'm in San Antonio and lately it has been very comfortable above 25 mph, or so, but I imagine that July and August will make that a seriously hot jacket. If you can afford it (I can't), you might want to get a mesh jacket, too.

If you buy online, make sure you look for reviews that should tell you if that manufacturer's sizes run a little big or small. And make sure you buy from a retailer that does exchanges if it doesn't fit - double check their policy.

Good luck!
1994 Suzuki Katana 600
1994 Honda Magna 750

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

beardking wrote:I can't be the only fat guy out here that considers riding jackets a good idea. Anyone have any suggestions on what brands to look for? Oh, and I live in the Dallas, TX area, so something that won't make me sweat more than a prostitute in church would be nice.
Damian wrote:That jacket looks pretty decent on my large, too. It is thick and hot. I'm in San Antonio and lately it has been very comfortable above 25 mph, or so, but I imagine that July and August will make that a seriously hot jacket. If you can afford it (I can't), you might want to get a mesh jacket, too.
......and the bad news is, even mesh can only go so far. I got caught in a huge traffic jam riding to the Millville, NJ air show on Saturday. Temp was only in the 80's, but it was humid, there was no shade, and after 30 minutes idling, the bike was throwing off serious heat. The skinniest guy there (5'8", 140 lbs) stripped off his mesh jacket - couldn't take it anymore. I was wearing my new Teknic Supervent and was very uncomfortable when we finally parked the bikes. (The fly-by by the B1 bomber at 200 feet on afterburner made it worth it though! :mrgreen: )
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

celt
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by celt »

flw wrote:I saw your on a Nighthawk but have you looked at the Harley line? They do have a large section in general and I would think have something in your size. Now if you can get a low profile Harley Jacket, it maybe worth it compared to a custom leather jacket.

If you have some small shop that is just a accessories store, if they can't do it, they may know of a local person that does this on the side. Then atleast you have a price comparision of custom vs low profile Harley.

Just a few thoughts

yeah, i don't own any harley clothes, but the last time i was in the shop for service, i tried a couple jackets on, and they were huge.

i was surprised, because usually with bike gear you need to get a size larger, but with this harley stuff, i fit into a size SMALLER.

i would go to a dealer and try on a XXL and it just might fit you.

they had a nice non-garish looking mesh jacket there for $99 i think.

HB Hemi
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by HB Hemi »

From one fat guy to another you will like this one:

http://newenough.com/protective_apparel ... acket.html

I bought it and have been riding in hot weather comfortably ever since.
2003 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

[url=http://rswarrior.com]RSWarrior[/url]