Back support

NightNurse
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Back support

#1 Unread post by NightNurse »

IS this the right forum? Anyone have one of these www.lazyrider.com ?

Ive injured my low back, and would like some sort of back support so I can still ride! After I let myself heal somewhat of course. Before I got hurt, I was thinking Id like a backrest anyway...this pushes me to do so! Any other suggestions?

p.s. I have a 94' Yamaha Virago 535.

Sicko
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by Sicko »

I would think that you need to pack it pretty tight for it to be an effective backrest. You need a somewhat rigid backrest to properly support your back. I have a backrest on mine and will never had a bike without one. It makes all the difference in the world on a long trip and also leaves you much less fatigued when you arrive.

NightNurse
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by NightNurse »

Sicko wrote:I would think that you need to pack it pretty tight for it to be an effective backrest. You need a somewhat rigid backrest to properly support your back. I have a backrest on mine and will never had a bike without one. It makes all the difference in the world on a long trip and also leaves you much less fatigued when you arrive.
So is my only other option to buy a new seat?

Sicko
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by Sicko »

Depends on your bike and seat. Some have a backrest available with the mounting hardware already on the bike. There are also after market seat available from Mustang, Corbin, etc. that come with a backrest. When I had my Shadow, I considered an after market seat but couldn't bring myself to swallow the $600 to $700 they cost.

I made several long road trip on the shadow and used a backpack stuffed to the gills with clothes. I bungee corded it to the pillion right behind me and the only relief it offered was when I was stopped at a red light and could really lean back into it. On the road, the more I leaned, the more it gave so it really wasn't very effective.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#5 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

According to the description, it's a pipe wrapped in nylon and synthetic leather so, I would think it's pretty stiff. Won't help me much since I don't have a sissybar to secure it to. :(

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#6 Unread post by flw »

Per the site:

A. The Bag Core: ( Dimensions)

The core of both bags are made of the same material which is a nylon re-enforced rubberized plastic pipe. The bag comes in two sizes. The larger bag is 12" in diameter and the smaller bag is 10" in diameter. Both of the bags are 14" inches long. The pipe has a ribbed surface instead of a smooth surface which gives items in your bag something to hang onto thus preventing the items from sliding out when you open your bag. (more about bag sizes later).

The pipe used is an extremely strong and durable product designed to withhold more that 1200 lbs of pressure. I have often used my bag as a stool while I am cleaning my bike, eating at a camp site or or even when I am watching a band at a rally. Needless to say, one should sit the bag on a towel or something so the material is not scratched or damaged in any way.

My comments:

If the pipe doesn't give until 1200 lbs. I hate to see what my back would look like. Seems like it should flex, not brake, at a much lower rating. Also many of the bikes in the pic section have pillion backrests. That may be a big factor in how well it really works.

No one makes a custom seat for my bike so this type of generic fix are my only choices. Keep us up to date on what you try and your opinion. I have a permanent lower back problem myself.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold