Advice needed: Summer Jacket

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

Advice needed: Summer Jacket

#1 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I need your help.

I don't own a good summer weight jacket. I suffer, I sweat, I hate my life at times. This year will be different. Here is what I care about. I may need to ignore one of these but ignoring 2 or more is not acceptible to me.

Sub $200
Good armor and materials
Safety/Good Track record
Good airflow
Optional liner
Length (longer than a sport cut if possible)

I don't like firstgear because their jackets don't have real armor. I'm not sure how I feel about Joe Rocket Pheonix as it's a really short jacket and I don't want it to ride up if I have my first spill.

Thoughts? What's perforated leather like compared to mesh?

-Ste
Last edited by storysunfolding on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#2 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I like my Cortech GX-Air. $160'ish with armor in the elbows, shoulders and spine. Removeable rain and thermal liners.

icariz83
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by icariz83 »

http://images.ridegear.com/images/large ... 0jkt06.jpg

I've been shopping for hot weather jackets as well and I like the looks and design of the Cortech. Is this the one you have now (I'm assuming 100% yes).

If so how hot of weather are you riding in that you are still comfy in?

I will be riding in 90+ and my Joe Rocket full black leather is unbearable as well so if it's over 90 and breathes great, even better.
Current Toys:06 Daytona 675, 06 Sportsman 800
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/Icariz83/misc%20pics/bronco1.gif[/img]

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#4 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I couldn't access ridegear for some reason. Here's the company website. They're made my Tourmaster; http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product ... =10&cat=25

You can also see some large pictures of it on my website. WARNING-The pictures are large. They were taken before I learned how to reduce image quality on my digital. :laughing: ; My Bike Page

Texfire
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Texfire »

I bought one of these last week when it became too hot for my Cortech DSX denim jacket.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=3& ... G&tier2=65

It's a Motoboss Air Speed Mesh Jacket. It's been working pretty well so far. I'll see if I can address your questions. It cost me $110. Armor seems adequate, but I'm not a very good judge. No idea on the safety track record, I bought it for comfort first, I figured it was the too hot to wear anything else jacket, but still some protection. Great airflow when moving, not so good when at a standstill. It does have an optional "waterproof" liner. Haven't used it yet so can't really tell you how effective it is. As far as sizing goes, I normally wear an XL in jackets. In this I'm wearing a XXL. The length is okay, cut is a little tight in the waist, but I'm a little prosperous there.

Tex

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by jonnythan »

I have an Alpinestars Air-Flo mesh jacket and I love it. It is super comfortable, has real hard armor on the elbows/forearms and shoulders (and a nice thick pad for the back), and a removable windproof/water resistant liner. It's really, really comfortable, and has non-mesh ballistic nylon on the shoulders and elbow side of the arms. The forearm/wrist closure system is excellent.

The only thing is that it's waist-length, which I like because it doesn't ride up when in the sitting position on the bike.

I have the cheapest one, but they make a few more expensive models of the same Air-Flo line that have different colors and more adjustments.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I tried on a few and I was set on the gs air, but the size that fit me well made me look like a fat budda... vanity over ruled that one.

I've since picked up a joe rocket alter ego from newenough.com We''ll see how well that works this weekend.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Sandibeach
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by Sandibeach »

I also have the Alpinstar Airflow, but I find it warm on those really hot muggy days in traffic. My husband and I ride into work together daily. The stop and go on those hot days drains us completely and I'm sitting on the back doing nothing.

He recently got the Joe Rocket Phoneix mesh jacket and loves it. I'm seriously considering getting it, because I think it would be much cooler than the airflow I have now. And the joe rocket is very well armoured and the length is good. My husband is 6'2 and it's longer than his leather motorcycle jacket.
2007 Honda CBR125