Any info about this jacket?

lunchmeat
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Any info about this jacket?

#1 Unread post by lunchmeat »

Just started the MSF course, I'm thinking of purchasing this Power Trip Top Gas jacket. However, I can't seem to find any reviews about it. Does anyone have any experience and/or advice, tip, whatever, about this jacket? I'd like to keep it around this price range. Will this be adequate or should I go a bit higher? (I was looking at the Power Trip Vintage...that thing has amazing style, and it's got a few more vents on the arms than this one has.)

Any advice would be appreciated. Quite honestly, I'm hoping this is good, because it's a pretty good price for a jacket like that, I'd imagine. I'd still have to get rain gear to put over it, since it's leather, though... :-\

Thanks.
-lunchmeat

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Looks like a nice jacket, but I don't think it's armored.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

celt
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by celt »

i own that jacket in XXL in the black/cream .

the sizing seems about right.

i got it on a closeout from newenough.com late this summer.

it doesn't have armor, but it has pockets for armor. since the weather was getting cooler, i took the armor out of my joe rocket sante fe leatehr/mesh jacket and put in the top gas. perfect fit.

the jacket is heavy, but the leather is really soft.

i have an Icon Neo-Daytona jacket and the leather on that jacket seems stiffer and heavier, even though the top gas is 1.2 thickness and the icon is 1.2-1.4 thickness, it just seems really hard & stiff.

the leather on this top gas jacket seems almost like glove leather, it's so soft. and it really does 'fit like a glove'.

i wouldn't say the leather is as thick as a foxcreek or a vanson, but those babies are over twice the price you're looking at for this one.

i think that $199 is a good deal, especially if you have or buy some armor to put in it. plus the styling is great...it reminds me of those old racing movies from the 70s-80s.

unfortunately i can't really tell you what the venting is like, because i only have used it in cooler temps (it comes with a thinsulate liner that zips out).

let me know if you have any additional questions.

lunchmeat
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by lunchmeat »

Thanks for the reply, celt. Yeah, I'm thinking about picking up that jacket...i don't have any armor for it, however. How much does armor go for?

I too love the styling of that jacket, especially the expansion area in the back. The stripes look great...I'd also been looking at the vintage jacet, which is about $315, I believe. It's got more pockets, but I suppose it's just more of the same, with style. Love the white leather on it, though - it'd be a pain to keep clean, I'm sure, but it'd work wonders for visibility. If the price were lower I'd seriously consider it. I wouldn't have to spend so much on reflective tape... :P

You're an XXL? How did you figure that out? On that site, there's a sizing chart, and there's a method of taking your measurements, but I seem to kinda be in-between sizes...my arms and waist qualify me for a large, but my chest is small (I'm kinda scrawny, I'm working on that). My chest makes me a medium, if I've measured correctly (and man, I have no idea).

If I do purchase the jacket, should i just go for the large? That would be my usual course of action, but as this is a motorcycle jacket I'd imagine is should fit fairly snug, not loose.

Thanks.
-lunchmeat

celt
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by celt »

it's very difficult to gauge sizing on motorcycle clothes.

have you ever tried any jackets on in a shop?

when i was first looking for a jacket, i went to a local shop that had a lot of brands, and i tried on probably like 20-25 jackets and wrote down which brands fit which size, etc...

in some brands i was XXL, but in other brands i was 4XL, believe it or not.

it all depends on the cut of the jacket.

sportbike-style jackets are a lot more tapered at the waist...they have more of an athletic cut to fit guys that have kind of a V shape...their chest is a lot bigger than their waists.

this top gas jacket has elastic sides and also a belt on each side to make it larger or cinch it tighter.

you DO want it to fit very snug, so it won't just pull up if you fall off the bike. you want it to stay put so it offers protection.

when you buy a casual jacket or a sweater, what size do you wear? and if you buy stuff too big, like a lot of people do, which size SHOULD you wear for the clothes to fit you properly? do you own a suit? have you ever been fitted properly for one?

usually you can't go by your regular size with motorcycle jackets, but for this one, for ME, it was the same size as my casual jackets. i wore a size xxl in jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc. and this fit me snug (like it should).

check dennis kirk's return policy. i know that newenough has a great return policy...if it doesn't fit, you send it back. even on closeouts.

as for armor, this MIGHT work, i would contact them to make sure first