H.D. Boots=Protection???

hglass
Rookie
Rookie

H.D. Boots=Protection???

#1 Unread post by hglass »

I've been looking to buy a pair of boots. I checked H.D. boots, they look good BUT offer no real protection. In all the descriptions I've read, they never say anything about toe protection, heal or ankle. Am I missing something??
Last edited by hglass on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#2 Unread post by Social Distortion »

i have a pair of the FADED GLORY HD boots.
I have a couple of opinions on them
I ride an 06 VStar classic (65occ) and ....

a) i should have gotten the shorter version ( maybe like 8 hole since the the onlys i have got way past my ankle, sometimes making it a little hard to shift ( i have a toe/heel shifter). If i do go down, i think the boot will protect my ankles from the pipes, but only for a short period of time.
b) the boot is really heavy- protection? maybe.....but it does add fatigue to my legs
c) i like the fact that as i wear the boot, i'll be able to replace the sole since it has some type of replacement system
d) 1 year later of nominal use...still breaking the boot in
e) many HD boots come in a Steel Toe model- i know my version did
f) Seem to repel water pretty good and keep my feet warm ( i ride in Chicago and been riding in 20 degree weather)
g) seems to run a little large- if i were to do it over again, i'd consider a 1/2 side smaller
h) the main gripe about this boot is that it has a heel. while i like the comfort walking, when riding, sometimes, the heel will cause me to miss my upshift as i go to step on the shifter ( dont forget i have a toe/heel shifter). If you use tradational methods of shifting ( your toe) i think you'll be fine- though w/our a steel toe, the toe on the boot is very thick and probably wouldnt fit under my shifter anyways.
ohh- and i bought them for like $75 xmas special

I love my Doc Martins, but too bad i keep burning the rubber sole on my pipes...good luck!
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by Veda »

HD makes both riding boots and fashion boots, and they might be hard to tell apart. In fact, it doesn't look like they are differentiated on the website. If you go to one of their stores they have tags and some say they're for riding and others say they are for "after the ride" or something similar.

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Social Distortion,

Huh, we have the same HD boots except for the steel toe, maybe mine are just old and they offered it in the later models.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#5 Unread post by Social Distortion »

hey Apollo
I like the boots, they just have some quirks about them.
I may still need to break them in until they are comfortable.....
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Yup, bought 'em when I switched over from Stanley Steeltoes and have never looked back. My oldest pair have what I jokingly call "Monster Tread" soles that offer some awesome traction.

My only critique is that one of the seams started to come apart on the newer pair, but a trip to the shop fixed that.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

Christina
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by Christina »

I have a pair of the high-top black lace-up HD Ladies Boots. They are both protective and fashionable. I love them. They have a heavy duty zipper on the inside going all the way up - so it makes it very easy to put on and take off.

I admit when i bought them, they were for "fashion" reasons, but i soon learned that they were terrific for long rides adding mucho support and wind protection. I've had them for about 4 years and the only thing wrong with them is the factory zippers. They failed about 1 year after buying them. I took them into my local shoe shop and had the zipper replaced with a very heavy duty one.

I love them!
Christina
Don't make me wait for my ride!!
www.signalsorcerer.com

Swampy
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Swampy »

I have two pairs of Harley boots and if I wreck bad enough that these should fail me I don't think it will be of much concern.....P.S They're great on long runs. No comfort issues what so ever...Christina you're everywhere....... :oops: