Hyperchargers

WyoRider
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Hyperchargers

#1 Unread post by WyoRider »

I have been looking at hyperchargers on-line and wonder if these would really make that much difference for horsepower gains. V-twins make their torque and hp at lower rpm's. Aren't the hyperchargers designed for mid to higher rpm's? Don't know if it's worth spending $250 more. Is there a significant amount of hp gain... as much as pipes?
What about just running a good set of after market pipes. You would think pipes alone would be enough.
Educate me please.
'07 Honda Shadow Aero
Soon to own,'02 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Member:
Patriot Guard Rider
Marne Riders Motorcycle Club
Society of the 3RD ID
Cold War Veterans Association
NRA
YSC
HRCA

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by mgdavis »

Turbocharger? Pipes, intake, and a jet kit should get you everything you need.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by qwerty »

What the hello is a hypercharger?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#4 Unread post by Koss »

qwerty wrote:What the hello is a hypercharger?
Google

So after spending a quick couple of seconds, I take its just an air cleaner housing? Perhaps with a more Free Flowing air filter element?

If thats the case, it really just allows you to pack more air into the chamber... and without leaning out the air/fuel mixture, you will have to throw more fuel in there too. So really, its not really the "hypercharger" doing all the work, its the combined effort of modifying the intake and metered fuel that does it.

Does it do as much as others say it does? I dont know, maybe somewhere theres someone that has dynochart runs that documents what you wanna find out.
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss

CORSCO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by CORSCO »

I have installed MANY Hyperchargers and I can't stand 'em! They are a pain to get jetted correctly! Even when you do dial them in, sometimes you have an off idle stumble you can't do anything with.

The ONE bike I have seen it make a large gain on is the V-Star 1100. For some reason on that bike you install the jets it gives you and it performs perfect. Every other bike has to be re-re-re-jetted.

I am a firm believer in stock airboxes for the best headache free performance.
CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE REGULARLY!!!

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by canuckerjay »

I've got one on my V* 1100 -- problem with them is that even with the large housing, you're still using the stock air intake.

If you're really into modding up the intake to increase power, dump the hypercharger and put a pod kit under the tank.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by qwerty »

Oh, a ram-air type filter housing. Very pretty, aren't they? Yes, they are difficult to jet, mainly because of the ram effect. Full throttle in 1st gear has no ram effect, full throttle in 5th gear has significant ram affect, as much as 2 or 3 pounds of pressure, that increases intake air mass and requires a corresponding increase in fuel flow mass (bigger jets). At least, that's how it went down when I was playing with a Ram-Air Pontiac years ago. Might see a couple of ponies on top with EFI.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Swampy
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Swampy »

I had a Hyper charger on an 883 and I think it made the classic Sportster spit n pop even worse. I would look at the Harley Heavy Breather intake. You definately have to get more fuel to see the difference with any intake you go with. But the heavy breather really looks good and it will handle anything you can possibly do to your motor. I have an 07 Street Bob with that intake, the Screaming Eagle race tuner kit, and a Reinhart 2 into 1 exhaust that's made by Bub. It was a fast bike when it was stock, but those upgrades turned it into a monster. You definately should do all three things to really make a big difference. A bigger air filter alone won't do much at all by it self. :wink: