Recommendations for Warm, Insulated Motorcycle boot

norsseman
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Location: In the Country. Far back in the deep dark woods. Geiger Heights, Washington

Recommendations for Warm, Insulated Motorcycle boot

#1 Unread post by norsseman »

I'm having a difficult time trying to find a warm, insulated
mc boot, would like to have it at least water resistant also or
even better yet waterproof. Any recommendations?
Freedom is not Free

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by sharpmagna »

I have the Sidi Sympatex On Road boots and they are definitely waterproof but they are not insulated. I rode in 40*F weather and my feet got cold after a while. I figure if I double up on socks it should be ok.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

WyoRider
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by WyoRider »

I have several pairs of boots and wear one with either 200 or 400 gram thinsulate depending how cold it is. I usually don't ride if the temp is under 40 degrees. I wear a combination of two different socks. First layer is a wool/polyester blend (military style) and over that I wear a good gortex sock, like the Rocky brand. For me it is the perfect combination. Your feet will stay warm and also breath. Gortex socks are not cheap but a very good investment. They also add a layer of warmth. I carry them so if it starts to rain and don't have waterproof boots, I slip the Gortex on and stay dry.
Obviously your feet get cold because you are not wearing the right material. There are some who's feet sweat and if so this is where wool and gortex are nice. Remember...wool warms and cotton kills. This is one of the first rules in survival when it comes to clothing. Wool, when wet, still has warming qualities. Cotton does not.
'07 Honda Shadow Aero
Soon to own,'02 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Member:
Patriot Guard Rider
Marne Riders Motorcycle Club
Society of the 3RD ID
Cold War Veterans Association
NRA
YSC
HRCA

superskip
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by superskip »

WyoRider wrote:I have several pairs of boots and wear one with either 200 or 400 gram thinsulate depending how cold it is. I usually don't ride if the temp is under 40 degrees. I wear a combination of two different socks. First layer is a wool/polyester blend (military style) and over that I wear a good gortex sock, like the Rocky brand. For me it is the perfect combination. Your feet will stay warm and also breath. Gortex socks are not cheap but a very good investment. They also add a layer of warmth. I carry them so if it starts to rain and don't have waterproof boots, I slip the Gortex on and stay dry.
Obviously your feet get cold because you are not wearing the right material. There are some who's feet sweat and if so this is where wool and gortex are nice. Remember...wool warms and cotton kills. This is one of the first rules in survival when it comes to clothing. Wool, when wet, still has warming qualities. Cotton does not.
Very good advice. Layering is your friend.

Also, I have oversized boots for cold weather - size 12 for my size 10 feet lets me wear thick wool over wicking thermax or capilene socks.

Crushing thick socks into normal sized boots always left me with cold feet anyway.

Swampy
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Swampy »

Go on Cabela's website and look at the selection of boots and socks they have for hunters. You can get boots with over 1000 grams of thinsulate that aren't at all bulky. I currently have two pairs of Rockys And have have only worn out three other pairs in 15 years. They're great boots that you can literally stand in water over your akles with and fish. Your feet won't get wet. :mrgreen: Just don't let the water go over the top of coarse.....