7%

Total votes: 15

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

HEATED GRIPS versus HEATED GLOVES

#1 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I tried the search function, but I could not find what I was looking for.
So-o-o-.....

The cold season is approaching and so is my road trip. I have a serious problem trying to keep my fingers warm. So far none of the insulated riding gloves have been warm enough nor have my ski or snowboarding gloves.

I was going to get heated gloves, but now I am confused because others are recommending heated grips.

Will heated grips really keep my finger tips warm? Or would I be better off with the heated gloves?

Anyone care to share their experiences with how they keep warm?

Seca Girl
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Seca Girl »

If you go with heated grips, don't use really bulky insulated gloves, the insulation works both ways. Just make sure they're windproof.

Don't forget your heated vest, if your core stays warm, your fingers and toes will stay warm.
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#3 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Id go with the grips Blues. I found that the heated gloves were very VERY bulky. that and batteries die quick.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by TechTMW »

Heated gloves keep your hands warmer blues, but they're a bigger PIA to work with. Grips you just install em and forget about it.

Either way you go, please make sure whatever accessories you are adding to your bike (or wardrobe) won't overtax your charging system.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Sev »

Grips won't keep the backs of your hands warm.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

moto_hanki
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by moto_hanki »

Heated gloves will be bulky, but so toasty warm. Get the kind that plug into your bikes battery so you don't have to worry about little batteries dying all of the time.

Gerbing makes nice heated clothing and has accessories. You will want to get the thermostat accessory so you can regulate the temperature. If you only go with the switch then you have blazing hot and off. Also, Gerbing carries ladies sizing in gloves.
Henri

1992 Seca II XJ600

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by Skier »

Sevulturus wrote:Grips won't keep the backs of your hands warm.
Ding ding. They provide heat at the coldest part of your hand. While incredibly bulky, I won't trade my heated gloves for the world. I have the Widder heated gloves and recommend the slightly more expensive Gerbings over 'em. There are a few things I dislike about the gloves that Gerbings apparently does better.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Skier wrote:
Ding ding. They provide heat at the coldest part of your hand. While incredibly bulky, I won't trade my heated gloves for the world. I have the Widder heated gloves and recommend the slightly more expensive Gerbings over 'em. There are a few things I dislike about the gloves that Gerbings apparently does better.
I have decided I will get the heated gloves. I was at the local Harley dealer today trying on theirs. I may go back and get them, but I first want to try on the other brands...if any of the other bike shops around have them.

I also received a couple of email replies. It was also pointed out that with heated grips, I would have to wear thin gloves for the heat to penetrate......so...gloves it is.

Are you gloves waterproof or do you switch to different gloves when it rains?

Skier

#9 Unread post by Skier »

blues2cruise wrote:
Skier wrote:
I have decided I will get the heated gloves. I was at the local Harley dealer today trying on theirs. I may go back and get them, but I first want to try on the other brands...if any of the other bike shops around have them.

I also received a couple of email replies. It was also pointed out that with heated grips, I would have to wear thin gloves for the heat to penetrate......so...gloves it is.

Are you gloves waterproof or do you switch to different gloves when it rains?
They are somewhat waterproof. It helps to hit 'em with some kind of waterproofer. I have some Nikiwax glove waterproofer that I apply once or twice a season. Seems to work for four or five hours in the rain. After that, your hands will get a touch wet.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Seca Girl
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by Seca Girl »

Since you're going with gloves, you might want to try an over-glove for the wet stuff.

I think these would work well, and would be worth it for the WTF-factor:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aer ... 16447.html

1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca