Ok, Im looking at a jacket ,,whats a safety hump?

Bulwark
Rookie
Rookie

Ok, Im looking at a jacket ,,whats a safety hump?

#1 Unread post by Bulwark »

Im looking at getting my first motorcycle jacket. Its leather with all the armor but it has a feature that Im not familiar with, a safety hump.

And no I dont mean sex with a condum.

It looks like a rounded hump starting at your lower back and ending by your shoulders.

I really like the jacket but this hump has me wondering,hehe. Here is the link to the jacket.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MOTORCYCLE-JACKET-RA ... m#ShowCase

Thx
Oh Canada, riding along the New Brunswick coastline.

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#2 Unread post by kabob983 »

It's actually called a speed hump and if you're not planning on setting fast track times you really don't need it, as it's no safer than a jacket without it. The idea is to create a more aerodynamic bridge between your helmet and your body so that the air flows faster.

I'd skip out on the jacket. It's made to look like the JR Speedmaster but it isn't, it's a no name brand with no reputation (unless someone else in here has heard of "Jackets for Bikes" brand). I talked with them a few months ago and found that out.

Stick with known brands as they have a reputation to upkeep and won't sell you crap that will fall apart as soon as it hits the asphalt. Alpinestars, Joe Rocket, Teknic, Tour Master/Cortech, etc.

I'd suggest you hit your local bike shop and try a few on to get your size, not two company's jackets fit exactly the same (I wear a 46 in Teknic and a 44 in Alpinestars).
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!