best armored gloves for summer street use?

CO_Tim
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

best armored gloves for summer street use?

#1 Unread post by CO_Tim »

I'm looking for an armored glove for summer street use. 80-95 F, low humidity. I make my living with my hands, so at a minimum I want armored knuckles, a palm with good abrasion resistance, and some wrist protection. Preferrably black with no graphics. I really like the feel of the Olympia 734, but doubt it would hold up well in a 50 mph crash. The Olympia 340 looks strong, but is it cool enough around town in stop and go traffic? Cost doesn't matter as much as comfort and protection. Suggestions?

CO_Tim
Rookie
Rookie

found some gloves

#2 Unread post by CO_Tim »

Wow, 42 people viewed my post, no suggestions. Gotta be a record! I bought the Olympia Model 340 Vented Kevlar Protector Gloves at my local shop. Only has a vent on the back, but after talking with other riders it seems like that is sufficient unless you have hot hands or live somewhere like Houston. I take an XL in most gloves, but got a medium in these (hope they stretch a tiny bit!). I plan to cut out the elastic at the wrist, too tight when my wrist is bent. Haven't used them in really hot conditions yet, just 80 F. Almost got the First Gear Mesh Sport gloves. Very comfortable, lots of ventilation, but not enough protection for me (too much mesh, not enough wrist padding).
2001 Suzuki SV650 (red)

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by canuckerjay »

I roll with these:

http://www.alpinestars.com/moto/gloves_alloyglove.html

The alloy is by far the most comfortable glove I've ever owned; and it's sharp looking in my opinion. It's got tons of ventilation, padded palms and the hard knucks. Paid about 80$ for it. I was skeptible, but they were worth every penny. They cut off at the wrist, mind you -- a lot of people want a cuff to go up thier arm.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

Tarzan
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by Tarzan »

I use Alpinestars GP Tech gloves. Awsome protection - which I've crash tested - and the gloves are still in great condition. A little pricey though...
1998 Suzuki GSX750F - all fixed but seriously multi-coloured...

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#5 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I have a pair of Joe Rocket armored Carbon Fiber gloves.. they are comfy, and not too hot.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

klohiq
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by klohiq »

I just ordered a pair of Alpinestars GP Plus gloves (XL)...They haven't arrived yet, but I can say that the price was pretty good considering what you usually pay...

$90 for a $150+ pair of gloves...they are being discontinued this year from what I've read...the GP Pro replaces them in the Alpinestars line-up.

http://www.bing.com

get them while they're hot!
2000 Suzuki SV650 (blue, 11k miles) - hugger, yoshi pipe, tail-tidy, perelli diablos

1987 kawasaki ninja zx1000r (black w/ red accents) 16k miles - SOLD!

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#7 Unread post by kabob983 »

The GP Pro isn't replacing them. I think the Pro has been around longer than the Plus has. There just isn't a demand for a glove between the SP1 and the GP Pro.

I've got a pair of GP Tech gloves (for me it was a steal at about $104 + shipping) that are really nice. Vented knuckles, vented cuff, and perforations between the fingers. Very sturdy and breezy. Only complaint I have with them is that the back of the hand is very rigid (for a reason, but it takes some getting used to).

I'd love to try a pair of GP Pro gloves as well.
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

klohiq
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by klohiq »

Just got the gloves yesterday and they are really, really nice. If they were any better looking I wouldn't even want to wear them. Very high quality, but just like what kabob983 said, the back of the hand is very rigid.

Also I've got pretty long fingers and the site I posted said I should buy a medium, but I went to an XL because of my better judgement. An XXL would probably fit the fingers better, but it would probably be even bigger in the palm area. Once they break-in the fingers will probably stretch slightly. Anyway, love the gloves and for 90 dollars I'm amazed at how good they are.

can't wait to crash and try them out :laughing:
2000 Suzuki SV650 (blue, 11k miles) - hugger, yoshi pipe, tail-tidy, perelli diablos

1987 kawasaki ninja zx1000r (black w/ red accents) 16k miles - SOLD!