My Gear Options

JDawg117
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

My Gear Options

#1 Unread post by JDawg117 »

Here's what all I'm considering getting. I'm gonna get a hot-weather outfit (textiles) and a cold-weather outfit (leathers):

Jacket
Textile - Joe Rocket Ballistic 6.0, Joe Rocket Meteor 5.0
Leather - Vanson Ace, Vanson Model B, Vanson Mark 3 Cobra, Vanson Corsair

Pants
Textile - Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0
Leather - Vanson El Paso Jeans, Vanson Woodstock Jeans, Vanson Touring Pants

Gloves
Textile - Joe Rocket Crew
Leather - Joe Rocket Sonic, Joe Rocket Highside

Helmet
HJC CL-SP, HJC CL-15, HJC CL-14

Boots
Danner Acadia (current Marine Corps issue)

Feel free to input on the quality of this gear and give your recommendations. I found all this gear at each individual brand's website (except for the boots). Thanks for any help (I know it's a long list).

P.S. I'm not a rich am-fm, I want stuff that isn't too expensive.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

You live in Tennessee and want textiles for hot weather riding so let me be the first to steer you away from the Meteor 5.0 jacket and pants. I have the Meteor 4.0 jacket and wear it when it's 30-degrees out. On a few cold mornings I've worn it to work, then had to ride home wearing it in 80-90 degree weather and it is a sauna with a zipper! Look for a light, perforated jacket with plenty of vents, and skip the biker pants and just pick up some Joe Rocket steel jeans.

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#3 Unread post by kabob983 »

You certainly like Vanson don't you! If you don't want "expensive" stuff then I'd highly reccomend that you steer clear of Vanson, as next to Dainese and custom made stuff, it's some of the most expensive leather you can buy.

If you want really good quality stuff that's not going to bleed you dry check out Alpinestars (although it is a little pricy, not nearly as bad as Vanson though). Joe Rocket and Teknic aren't bad either (especially their newer stuff).

Also, for boots I'd go with motorcycle specific boots, as they are armored in specific areas and designed to make riding easier/more comfortable. If you don't want "power ranger" looking race boots, check for some more subtle street boots like Sidi and Teknic make.
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

hot_shoe_cv
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by hot_shoe_cv »

For leathers don't overlookFox Creek Leathers, I have their vest, chaps, leather jeans(no longer carried as inventory but available on order) and gauntlet deerskin gloves. All are perfect quality and their customer service is A1. Plus free shipping on everything!
If price is no object check out Cycle Port.com for all seasons textile wear. I have their Ultra Mesh2 jacket with two liners, one is water proof, the other is insulated. Jacket alone can be worn from 40F to 80F. The other liners can be worn together or separately for below zero temp. They claim their textile with kevlar is stronger than leather for abrasion,
02 1500 Mean Streak
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/hot_shoe_cv/allaccessories.jpg

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#5 Unread post by bok »

some folks swear by combat boots but if you are spending some good money on gear, you might want to check out proper riding boots. I'm not sure of the design/specs of the Marine Corps boots, but riding boots are purpose built and they do good for that purpose.

good riding boots are built to prevent sideways crushing damage as well as they will have heel protection and usually no laces (laces can be a bad thing if you aren't careful)

i'd almost suggest a good textile or perforated leather jacket and a heated vest instead of a set of leather and a set of textile (save a bit of cash) but you know your area and the conditions there better than i do.

sounds like you have your head screwed on right so just be safe out there :)
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]