Bike Covers

slowair
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Bike Covers

#1 Unread post by slowair »

There seems to be a good variety of features when it comes to covers.

I park under a second floor balcony, but during a heavy rain, the bike still gets wet.

I'd like to find a cover, but I'm very new to all this. What features are a must and which ones aren't really that important?

If possible, I'd like to keep the cost below $40 - $50.

Any suggestions on what to get and where to find it for the best price?

Thanks,
Mike

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by dieziege »

It kinda depends on your bike... but in general I'd say go to walmart and pick up one of their covers. $20. It does the job. I have one at the office so I can toss it on when I get to work.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by sharpmagna »

I've got a dowco guardian and it seems like a very nice cover. The material is water resistant so it does ok for light showers, but heavy rains the water finally comes through (Either the water comes through or the morning dew is sitting on the bike, not sure). It has built in vents so moisture can dissapate. There are silver parts that aluminized so you can put the cover one with a warm bike (Suggested to wait at least 15 minutes before putting cover on). In the front there is a soft section for your windshield. It has some grommets at the bottom so you can put a cable lock through the cover. Also comes with a handy storage pouch.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#4 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Depending how important looks are for you, you could allways just buy a blue tarp from wally world. a bit of rope. bingo there ya go. Itll keep the water off your bike, and you can use it for other things when its nice out.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by sharpmagna »

NorthernPete wrote:Depending how important looks are for you, you could allways just buy a blue tarp from wally world. a bit of rope. bingo there ya go. Itll keep the water off your bike, and you can use it for other things when its nice out.
Bad thing with tarps is that it traps moisture. Most motorcycle covers have vent holes so that the moisture can be released so it doesn't cause rust.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#6 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Rust adds character... :laughing:

"tarps dont breathe and trap moisture"

Well, theres my new learned thing of the day.... My dad allways told me that its a poor day when you dont learn anything new.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

slowair
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by slowair »

dieziege wrote:It kinda depends on your bike... but in general I'd say go to walmart and pick up one of their covers. $20. It does the job. I have one at the office so I can toss it on when I get to work.
Bought the cover from Wally World. Had to go to two of them in order to find the right size. Oh well, it was a nice ride. First time riding in 30 mph winds. God that's fun. Seriously, I was laughing I was enjoying it so much.

Going to rain tonight, but I'm covered. :D

Thanks for the tip.

Mike