opinoins on Suzuki C50 VS Yamaha VS 1100

fwbr
Rookie
Rookie

opinoins on Suzuki C50 VS Yamaha VS 1100

#1 Unread post by fwbr »

Opinoins on Suzuki C50 VS Yamaha VS 1100
New bike purchase, any info appreciated
Exp. rider. mainly tooling around and a few interstate highway trips.
Is the Yamaha VS 1100 worth the $1700 more

TimeWarp
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by TimeWarp »

I have the 05C50 and it is an awesome ride. I'm 6'1, 245 and ride daily to work and frequent weekend runs. Get a lot of compliments on it too.

Visit http://www.volusiariders.com for more info.
Bob
C50
---------
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

Having ridden both, I'd have to say the chassis and ergos are nearly identical in feel. With both engines stock, I didn't think the 1100 had as much additional power as it should have. Once my brother-in-law installed a BAK and jet kit on his 1100, it did wake up quite a bit, though. On that same token, the C50's fuel-injection should respond just as well (if not better) to the same mods.

Another consideration is price of accessories. Everything for the 1100 is so expensive you'd think it was made by Harley. In contrast, I was able to buy my dad a studded gel seat, passenger seat, and sissy bar pad for just $215.00 (the seat set for my Vulcan was $800). All of the C50 accessories I have looked at on eBay are really reasonably priced as well. If I were you, based on my experience with both bikes, I'd get the C50t which comes equipped with all the goodies for less than the cost of purchasing a C50 and all the stuff separately.

If you do go with the C50 or C50t, you can save a lot of money on aftermarket pipes by simply debaffling the stockers. Just put a 1" and 3" metal hole saw together and use it to remove the ring at the end of each pipe. Once those are removed, insert a 3' length of 1" dowel rod into each baffle and rock them back and forth until the welds break up front, then just remove the baffle and enjoy a much improved exhaust note.

Debaffle the C50 Video

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by MotoF150 »

I own the 2005 Suzuki M50, same exact engine as the C50, buy the Yamaha, my M50 is a P.O.S. my bike backfires both thru the exhaust and the air cleaner and I am told thats normal. The Suzuki is a cheap bike, its less expensive, you get what you pay for, look at the welds, the cheap brake calipers, tires, foot pegs, seats. The resale value on the Suzuki is bad, my 2005 M50 is now only worth $2700, and I know the used Yamaha 1100 V Stars are selling for between $6000 to $7000. Buy the Yamaha, great looking bike, looks good, sounds good and you will get respect for owning one.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by canuckerjay »

MotoF150 wrote:I own the 2005 Suzuki M50, same exact engine as the C50, buy the Yamaha, my M50 is a P.O.S. my bike backfires both thru the exhaust and the air cleaner and I am told thats normal. The Suzuki is a cheap bike, its less expensive, you get what you pay for, look at the welds, the cheap brake calipers, tires, foot pegs, seats. The resale value on the Suzuki is bad, my 2005 M50 is now only worth $2700, and I know the used Yamaha 1100 V Stars are selling for between $6000 to $7000. Buy the Yamaha, great looking bike, looks good, sounds good and you will get respect for owning one.
Wow dude! When I was shopping, it was between the Vstar, Sabre and the M50. First one I eliminated was the Suzuki -- just liked the feel and esthetics of the other two. Never heard such a bad review of it. Nice to hear the different opinions.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#6 Unread post by ZooTech »

MotoF150 wrote:my M50 is a P.O.S.
Such a P.O.S. that you've already worn out the original tires?

C'mon, Man. Your story is getting older and more incredible every day. Who in their right mind wouldn't have taken legal action by now? My dad has well over 10k miles on his C50 and it has been absolutely problem-free. For the record, I think you're on crack.

basshole
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by basshole »

I have an '06 C50 and it's butter! Smooth as glass and lot's of grunt for an 800. Bike is literally bulletproof. The only I people I know of who bag on the C-50 are those people who bought something else and then realized the mistake they made. You'd be hard pressed to find 5 riders who don't like their C-50. It's a keeper!
Beer. Helping ugly people get laid since 1853
2006 Suzuki C50 Silver/Gray

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#8 Unread post by MotoF150 »

Mr ZooTech, I admit I made a big mistake buying the M50, I loved the bike for the first 2 weeks, I explained before the problems I have with my M50 are concidered normal by 2 dealers, warranty does NOT cover problems that are normal to all bikes of the same model. Im stuck with the bike, I can't sell it, can't trade it in I owe twice as much on it as its worth. The only thing I can do is be HONEST about my bike and maybe save someone else by convincing them NOT to buy one. and Mr ZooTech , unlike you im a serious rider, I do have a lot of miles, I use my bike as serious transportation, plus I ride far from home in all kinds of weather, I don't spend more time washing, shinning and kissing my bike than riding it, your Mean Streak is a nice bike I would love to own one, but life isn't fair, I understand the rookies have the nice bikes, and the hard, experienced bikers are stuck with the pieces of c**p.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#9 Unread post by ZooTech »

MotoF150 wrote:ZooTech, I admit I made a big mistake buying the M50, I loved the bike for the first 2 weeks, I explained before the problems I have with my M50 are concidered normal by 2 dealers, warranty does NOT cover problems that are normal to all bikes of the same model.
My Dad's C50 has the same engine and drivetrain, as does Basshole's, and neither my Dad, nor Bass, nor the guy here who has an M50 have ever experienced "backfiring through the exhaust and air cleaner". If you haven't contacted Suzuki and an attorney by now then you must be daft.
MotoF150 wrote:Mr ZooTech , unlike you im a serious rider, I do have a lot of miles, I use my bike as serious transportation, plus I ride far from home in all kinds of weather, I don't spend more time washing, shinning and kissing my bike than riding it
It only took you 11-days and 56 posts to figure out that I barely ride my Garage Queen (and only on nice, sunny days), yet you can't figure out how to demand action be taken for your defective bike?
MotoF150 wrote:life isn't fair, I understand the rookies have the nice bikes, and the hard, experienced bikers are stuck with the pieces of c**p.
If you say so...

basshole
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#10 Unread post by basshole »

Don't give a class guy like Zootech grief. That ain't cool. He's done nothing to you so chill please. Sounds like you need to find another dealer or bike shop and get it fixed so you can sell it and then we won't have to worry about you making claims that all Boulevards suck when it sounds like the only one that sucks is yours. Sorry dude.
MotoF150 wrote:Mr ZooTech, I admit I made a big mistake buying the M50, I loved the bike for the first 2 weeks, I explained before the problems I have with my M50 are concidered normal by 2 dealers, warranty does NOT cover problems that are normal to all bikes of the same model. Im stuck with the bike, I can't sell it, can't trade it in I owe twice as much on it as its worth. The only thing I can do is be HONEST about my bike and maybe save someone else by convincing them NOT to buy one. and Mr ZooTech , unlike you im a serious rider, I do have a lot of miles, I use my bike as serious transportation, plus I ride far from home in all kinds of weather, I don't spend more time washing, shinning and kissing my bike than riding it, your Mean Streak is a nice bike I would love to own one, but life isn't fair, I understand the rookies have the nice bikes, and the hard, experienced bikers are stuck with the pieces of c**p.
Beer. Helping ugly people get laid since 1853
2006 Suzuki C50 Silver/Gray